Please tell me I have a pretty pullet!

Is the white mutt the beautiful rooster behind him/her in the first pic? He's gorgeous!!
Yes! I posted two pictures of him and the mom that are on page two. Aside from being a mutt, he has been the ideal rooster. We are processing some Cornish x this weekend, and I wanted to process him too, but now I am having second thoughts. I have a purebred Maran that I wanted to keep as my roo but he’s grown up to be a complete turd of a rooster.

I'd say keep him, but obviously it's totally up to you.... I don't even own any roosters, though I hope to get one next year. How many hens do you have? Could you keep both roosters?

No, but it’s a very large pea comb.

It really isn’t. This is a pea comb on a male at 5 weeks:

82CB52D1-5D34-43A7-8A6D-BF4863377AE2.jpeg

I'd say keep him, but obviously it's totally up to you.... I don't even own any roosters, though I hope to get one next year. How many hens do you have? Could you keep both roosters?
Well I have 4 babies, of basically unknown gender, 12 hens, and 2 roosters. I wanted to dispatch him because I didn’t know how many of the chicks would be male, but as I said he’s been such a good rooster :( he spends most of the day with the broody hen and his babies.
It really isn’t. This is a pea comb on a male at 5 weeks:

View attachment 2381406

That comb really does look much larger than my chick! These pictures are of the dad and his sister when they were chicks. They hatched at the end of April. It was obvious at 4 weeks that he was a boy! They both had rose combs. Unfortunately she passed away suddenly at 20 weeks, and I never learned why.

Attachments

• C64F6CC0-862F-4C19-80D8-A6234374A296.jpeg
    C64F6CC0-862F-4C19-80D8-A6234374A296.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 5E8BC958-B355-43B1-98F6-FBDE11FA24EF.jpeg
    5E8BC958-B355-43B1-98F6-FBDE11FA24EF.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 7
What if you wait to see the gender and personalities of the chicks/roosters, and dispatch any bad, or unwanted ones when their grown? Thoughts?
I am open to this except the reason I wanted to process with the meat birds is I have help. My neighbor happens to be in the commercial poultry industry and had a trailer with all the supplies. I’ve never done it myself and not sure I want to without his help. Alternatively, I thought I could wait until spring and if I have 3-4 roosters, maybe he could come and help? Or if I got more meat chickens? I’m not sure how emotionally stable I will be doing this all myself. I like eating chicken, but I also love chickens 🤷🏻‍♀️

I am open to this except the reason I wanted to process with the meat birds is I have help. My neighbor happens to be in the commercial poultry industry and had a trailer with all the supplies. I’ve never done it myself and not sure I want to without his help. Alternatively, I thought I could wait until spring and if I have 3-4 roosters, maybe he could come and help? Or if I got more meat chickens? I’m not sure how emotionally stable I will be doing this all myself. I like eating chicken, but I also love chickens 🤷🏻‍♀️
If he's currently in the commercial poultry industry, he would not be allowed to be anywhere near your birds.

Back
Top Bottom