Please tell me I have a pretty pullet!

If I can get home before dark, I'll try to get more. I'll try to get pics of the siblings too, but they are so darn flighty. so far there has been no color leakage whatsoever. I've gone waaaayyy down the rabbit hole reading about barring genes, but there's just no info on mixing a buff chicken with any other type of chicken.
I can help you with mixing Buff. I know quite abit since I've been working on a Wheaten Crele Orpington project, & it includes Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, & Australorps.

Here's Dino's mother tiger. She's a Buff Orpington/Australorp cross.
0219191545.jpg
Dino's dad, a Buff Orpington/Barred Rock cross.
0219191544.jpg
Notice the leakage on the father? He's 1yr old in this picture.

At only 8 weeks old there will not be much to see if you are looking for hackle or saddle feathering. Best to wait at least two more weeks as ususally these gender related traits start to show around 10-12 weeks of age.
Unless they're like my project birds. Mine saddled early at 8 weeks.
20200814_145352.jpg

I can help you with mixing Buff. I know quite abit since I've been working on a Wheaten Crele Orpington project, & it includes Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, & Australorps.

Here's Dino's mother tiger. She's a Buff Orpington/Australorp cross.View attachment 2381453Dino's dad, a Buff Orpington/Barred Rock cross.View attachment 2381454Notice the leakage on the father? He's 1yr old in this picture.
Wow the color on him is so interesting! Well this one's dad started crowing at week 11, and was fertilizing eggs at week 13. He's a young daddy for sure! Maybe his fast maturing genetics will be present in this little chick, if it is a boy? So far there are definitely no signs of leakage whatsoever, and it is eight weeks old exactly. I hadn't given any thought to the possibility leakage could occur later!

Wow the color on him is so interesting! Well this one's dad started crowing at week 11, and was fertilizing eggs at week 13. He's a young daddy for sure! Maybe his fast maturing genetics will be present in this little chick, if it is a boy? So far there are definitely no signs of leakage whatsoever, and it is eight weeks old exactly. I hadn't given any thought to the possibility leakage could occur later!
If there's no leakage then I'd say he's most likely fathered by Cuckoo Maran, & the Barred Rock hen.
One of the parents should be hiding the pea comb gene, & passed it to the offspring.

If the father was early to mature, then you should expect the same with the chick.

Do you have adult pictures of him?
He's a teenager right now, here's pictures I got of him last month I believe. He's 13-14 weeks in these pictures. His coloration isn't leakage, just a color I'm breeding for. My sister's EE/F1, Wheaten Crele Orpington cross has leakage though.
20200929_215227.jpg
20200929_213919.jpg

If there's no leakage then I'd say he's most likely fathered by Cuckoo Maran, & the Barred Rock hen.
One of the parents should be hiding the pea comb gene, & passed it to the offspring.

If the father was early to mature, then you should expect the same with the chick.
I don't have a cuckoo maran, and the only other rooster, a blue copper maran, I had was only 11 weeks old at the time and didn't start crowing until he was maybe 14 or 15 weeks old. He was very slow to mature. In addition, the single comb is a recessive gene, so if the maran rooster and the barred rock were the parents, the chick would have to have a single comb.

Back
Top Bottom