please tell me I kept only girls ......

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emjay, Oct 4, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    These babies are about 9 weeks old, give or take. I just parted with 5 roos, kept 1, one died. ( had 7 ) I kept 12, thinking/hoping all pullets. Here are just a few that I want to make sure. I am confident 2 of them are pullets, but, double checking.

the only one I worry about is the white/blue one.

the baby on the left is the only one in this batch of 7 that has the full beard, the rest are clean shaven [​IMG] , in my other batch of 6, they all have full beards. yet all from the same parentage. I guess the genes are stronger on different days of the week, hahaha. anyhoo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty sure she is a she

[​IMG]

this is the one I'm still on the fence with. not literally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    [​IMG] Are you telling me EE roos beard out faster, I thought I had all girls till now [​IMG] Mine look just like yours, age and all, clean shaven or not , must follow this for tips on how to tell. Sorry I couldn't help you.

3. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    no, roos don't beard out faster. I just had 3 seperate broods within one week of each other, same moms, same dad. Only one brood had all chicks with beards. and the other 2 broods, mostly clean faced. the brood with all the beards, 5 are pullets, 2 are roos.

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    they all look girly to me.

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I say they are all girls.

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    And what pretty pretty girls they are!

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm thinking the white one is a roo. Although he seems to have slow comb development, I'm seeing the start of saddle feathers at the base of the tail.

8. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    Quote:ack !!!!!!!!! man, I hope you are wrong. this one is my favorite as far as coloring goes.

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I thought I saw saddle feathers as well on the white one. Can you get us better pics of the saddle feathers?

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    All pullets.

And just because it has a beard does not mean it is male. The beard is a characteristic of the breed, not a sex trait like in humans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by