Please tell me she is a hen!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ajay, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    This is my 4 week old Welsummer, Ellie. She's a doll, but from day 1, I have been worried that she is a he. She came out of the gate a little more aggressive than the others and she has massive feet compared to our other Welsummer. I am hoping that she is a hen, but I don't know enough about raising chickens to make a guess. We can't keep a rooster. [​IMG] Can any of you tell or is it too early still?

[​IMG]

2. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Oh tht is not a welsummer [​IMG] it is an Ameraucana for sure and the comb has three rows or not? I have an Ameraucana and she looks just like that! she is 6 weeks old and has muffs and green legs for sure and EE and might be a pullet [​IMG]
    Oh and Ameraucanas are a little bit aggressive but the more you handle her the nicer she will be [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG] Here is what it says about the Welsummer's here on BYC:

Sexing Welsummer chicks: pullets (hens) will have a very defined V shape on their heads and eyeliner. Cockerels (roosters) have a smudged looking V and no eyeliner.

Just read the other response, yes, her legs should be pale yellow.
    I still think you have a pullet, just not a Welsummer! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  4. ajay

Jun 1, 2011
    Oh you are kidding me! All this time I was thinking these two were my Welsummers and my others were my EE's! I am such a rookie. [​IMG] That's what happens when you don't pay enough attention at the feed store! I was just so excited to get them, I didn't watch the guy put them in the box! [​IMG]

5. Moose The Ameraucana

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Quote:Oh its fine! It can be confusing because the wellsummer chicks look just like the EEs [​IMG] so it makes things confusing till they become pullets but she has only one row it looks like so she is most likley a pullet very cute though! [​IMG]

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Looks like a pullet EE to me. Your Welsummers should have yellow legs.

7. ajay

Jun 1, 2011
    Quote:They do. [​IMG] That's part of the reason I thought Ellie was a boy. I couldn't figure out where in the world she got those legs from! lol

Just for fun, now that I have my breeds correct, here's one of my Welsummers. The two chicks are nearly impossible to tell apart, so we're in for two no matter what!

[​IMG]

8. Moose The Ameraucana

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    yup tht looks like a welsummer especially from the yellow legs and facial feather/features adorable [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:They do. [​IMG] That's part of the reason I thought Ellie was a boy. I couldn't figure out where in the world she got those legs from! lol

Just for fun, now that I have my breeds correct, here's one of my Welsummers. The two chicks are nearly impossible to tell apart, so we're in for two no matter what!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/94381_img_9016.jpg

THAT is a welsummer and a pullet.

Your first one is an EE and it's a bit early yet to tell, but if I had to make a call right now, it would be boy.

10. ajay

Jun 1, 2011
    Glad to hear my Welsummers are pullets. Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by