Please tell me she is indeed a she (fingers crossed)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cinnamongirl, Oct 22, 2009.

1. cinnamongirl

cinnamongirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Deltona
    We've noticed some changes in our SLW that our GLW isn't showing. They are both the same age, hatched Oct.5th. She/he is a lot heavier then the GLW and is showing more of a comb. I think I already know the answer but...[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the GLW for comparison...

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    The SLW has a straight comb, aren't wyandottes suppose to have rose combs? I think it looks like a cockerel to me [​IMG] but I am sure it will be a beauty! Both are just adorable!

3. cinnamongirl

Aug 29, 2009
    Deltona
    I might have them mixed up as far as breeds. We got 6 all together, each a different kind, hoping that we would be able to identify the breeds easily. If this one isn't our SLW then I'm stumped. Whatever the gender, it is one of the prettiest of the bunch at this awkward stage. We'll all be really sad if it is a roo. We'll have to find a good home for him since he won't be able to stay. We love them all so much I hate to think of saying goodbye [​IMG]

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The first chick is a SLW, and yes, it looks like boy [​IMG] It is common to see hatchery wyandottes have single combs.

However the second chick is Not a GLW.
    Here is a Real GLW
    [​IMG]
    It looks like a LBL, SS, or wellie

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, of my 7 SLW's, about 4 of them have a single comb. Yours does look like a roo to me. NONE of my pullets had a comb at that age.

6. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Boy oh boy![​IMG]

7. cinnamongirl

Aug 29, 2009
    Deltona
    [​IMG] Darn it all! Someone should make a collar that trains roos not to crow. I love the sound, but my neighbors might not. I don't suppose anyone on here lives near Deltona? I'd feel a lot better if I knew he went to another chicken lover like a BYC member.

Quote:Does SS mean Speckled Sussex? We ordered one of those. But then what is the one I thought was the Speckled? I'll go ahead and post their pics and what I thought they were and maybe someone can help me sort this out. I wish they came labeled lol.

This one we thought was our Speckled Sussex

[​IMG]

Barred Rock?

[​IMG]

A better picture (last week) of what we thought was our Gold Laced Wyandotte

[​IMG]

Last week's pic of our Easter Egger just because it's so darn cute [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course our Polish. White Crested Black? I told them we'd substitute for whichever came available first. Again from last week.

[​IMG]

All of this week's pics came out all fuzzy. They were just too fast. Next time maybe we'll have to catch them just before naptime.
    Everyone else seems pretty feminine [​IMG]

8. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The one you thought was a SS, is a GLW [​IMG]

The one you thought is a GLW, is a SS [​IMG]

The BR, and WCBP are what they are [​IMG]

The ee is a cutie [​IMG]

9. cinnamongirl

Aug 29, 2009
    Deltona
    Thank you so much for your help! We just assumed the ones that looked like little chipmunks were the wyandottes. Since one was gray and black and one was tan and black that just made sense. We're giving our babies an identity crisis!

10. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I LOVE the muffs on your EE!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by