Please, tell me that I'm completely insane...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chanamarie, Dec 5, 2016.

1. chanamarie

chanamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    I had a little Silkie die today (post in emergency forum). She was super cute and pretty and had a very interesting coloring (Birchen, but very silvery). I wasn't especially attached to her as I just got her a few weeks ago (and am now worried she had something contagious - never again buying adult birds!), but I loved her coloring and wanted to introduce it into my flock.

So, I have 2 Silkie eggs in my fridge (super annoyed I ate 2 last night!) and was kinda sorta thinking of popping them into the 'bator (which is not even properly set up now as I was waiting for the Spring to hatch out) in the hopes of getting another one like her. The eggs might not even be hers as I have another Silkie who lays (though I know the just passed one was laying as I got 2 yesterday). And they've been refrigerated for a couple of days. This is nuts.

But what do you think??? (I have some Cochin Rooster x Red Sex Link hen eggs that could go in as well...)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Go for it.

3. jacies farm

jacies farm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2014
    Do whatever

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hatch them if you want, but a quick warning. I'm not sure what she died of but some respiratory diseases pass through the egg and chicks can hatch infected with it. So you could hatch sick chicks and then infect your whole flock. Although if you didn't have the silkie in quarantine and had her in with the flock and it was something like that your flock probably has caught it already, it which case if the chicks hatch carriers the point is already moot anyway.

5. coastingangel

coastingangel Out Of The Brooder

Nothing to lose really. Give it a shot and let us all know how it goes. Good luck

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Why bother? You said you weren't especially attached to her.

7. chanamarie

chanamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Rosie, as a chicken, I didn't know that well. But I bought her for her beautiful coloring - and she was really beautiful. And would also probably have turned into a loved chicken (she was sweet), but I didn't have her long enough.

Re: respiratory issues. Very interesting that that can happen! But I don't think it was respiratory (not that I know what it was) as there were no breathing problems at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by