please tell me the gender of my 5 month old rhode island red

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sneaton1, Jun 24, 2010.

1. sneaton1

sneaton1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    i have a rhode island red that seems to have a few saddle feathers so i assumed it was a roo, but last night a went to put her in the coop and she stuck her wings out a bit like she was doing the hen squat. now im confused and i need help. will roos ever squat? can rir hens have saddle feathers? its 5-6 months and hasnt laid or crowed yet

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    A photo would be a great help

PS welcome to BYC

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    yes a pic will be helpful but i notice all my RIR even the rooster will look like they are doing the egg squat but really they are pooping sorry to be discusting lol just next time when he or she does that look in the area and see if it pooed.

4. sneaton1

Jun 24, 2010
    it squated when i picked it up, then when i put it in the coop it squated with its wings cocked out a bit and let me pet it. it was definatly not the poop squat. here are some pics, in the side profile its holding its tail down,usually its up and looks more like a hens. ive only had it for a few days and its been getting picked on by my bo pullet, it dosent seem aggressive at all [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a cockeral for sure.

6. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    no doubt a roo to be!

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    roo for sure:-( it squats huh? maybe you got yourself one freindly rooster? [​IMG]

8. sneaton1

Jun 24, 2010
    i just went out to put it in the coop and when i set it on the roost it stuck its wings out and squated for me to pet it,so its definatly not a poop squat

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Seems as though your little roo is being submissive towards you. Do you always pet him on his back? I bet if you pet him on his neck/crop area he will stand up straight.

10. sneaton1

Jun 24, 2010
    crap,this is the second bird,the first one was a roo too (i think,it had huge tail feathers)so i took it back and got this one cause it had smaller tail feathers,legs, and comb. the guy selling had no idea what was what so i guessed. i think the guy has 15 or so roos(all of them) that were supposed to be straight run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by