Please tell me there's hope! Broken broody, 5 days til hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carli, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    I can't believe I broke the broody today. I just moved her a little to put new shavings in her box and now she's been out for a few hours. I tried getting her back in but she's MAD. I ran up to a friend's to grab her incubator. Someone went in and laid an egg while I was gone so when I went to get the eggs, they were warm. I just put them into the incubator but they were not sat on for probably an hour and a half give or take. Please tell me there's hope! I've never used a 'bator before. I never planned to. I'm supposed to candle them tomorrow and hatch on Wednesday. Now what do I do?

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    where are you located? was it very cold outside? I'm hoping you are in southern california.

If they got really cold - its probably too late - but don't give up hope. Chicks in the shell are much better at taking cold than hot.

I had a similar issue with 3 days to go - it was 20* outside but they were out there a good 8 or 9 hrs before I found them. none made it

3. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    I'm in WA but it's about 50 degrees here today. They were only left unattended for about 1.5 hours. And like I said, another hen laid in their while I was gone so they got warmth from that.

I just watched a video on you tube about the Little Giant 9200 Incubator. It said heat the thing for several hours before adding eggs. Ack! I set them in their anyway and it's heating up now. I am so clueless about this. I've read a little here and there but I've read more on the hen hatching them out herself.

4. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    I'm going to continue adding question as I read along...

I'm on a page now that's talking about humidity. Is humidity THAT important that I need to rush out and buy a hygrometer? It was really humid in the coop...we live in the rainy state. I added water to the 'bator.

Is it reallllllllly bad that I didn't have time to have the 'bator running for several hours? The temp is already up to 99.5.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

DOn;t worry about the hygrometer at this point. Just make sure the water wells are filled for the last three days.

6. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Quote:Oh thank you! What a relief! I just candled them really quickly since I was supposed to do it tomorrow and they're all in there for sure! I so hope this works out.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Oh thank you! What a relief! I just candled them really quickly since I was supposed to do it tomorrow and they're all in there for sure! I so hope this works out.

Make sure there is some moisture in there, and bump it up the last three days. I bet they hatch just fine.

8. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    i'd bet you are OK. not that cold. they can handle that king of cold!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by