1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please tell me these 2 Ameraucana's are not cockerels.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steffpeck, Mar 13, 2009.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have thought all along that these 2 were pullets, but being out there today with them I am thinking that they might be cockerels. I really hope there not, I have more than enough roo's and don't want more. LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have more pictures I can post if needed.

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I'm definately no expert but I'd guess boys.

3. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    The comb on the light-colored one looks just like the comb on my Americauna hen -- good luck!
    Pretty birds!

4. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    boys

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they are both roos. But very pretty roos!!! [​IMG]

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yep, those would be boys.

Fortunately, they are very nice looking boys and you could probably get some money for them. List them on eggbid.

I have had people looking for splash and blue roos.

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    OMG, what gorgeous roos!!

If you lived in Canada I so would take that Splash off your hands!

8. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    How old are they ? I have a 20 week old EE That often looks like a roo but no crowing. She has the same comb but its getting redder. She doesnt have the neck feather shaping as those do but at times she looks awful manly lol.

9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    They are 26-27 weeks old. I have 4 other roos from the same hatch and they have obviously been roos for several weeks. I thought these 2 were pullets until I was out there today and noticed their feathers were looking different. They have been really slow to develop.

10. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I think the blue is definitely a roo. The splash could go either way. I know the argument would be that the hackle feathers are pointy but my EE hen has pointy hackle feathers and there is absolutely no doubt that she is a hen since she is the only EE I have and she gives me a green egg 2 days out of every 3.

ETA: The comb on the splash is troubling though. I don't know about the genetics of Ameraucanas so I'm not sure if there are possible comb differences among one sex.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by