please tell me these are not roosters!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dftkarin, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Please tell me if you think these 8 week olds are hens or roosters?? I only have 1 glw and she is growing these reddish jowl type things (wattles?) and so many people I know are discovering that their some of their hens are actually roosters!! I'm scared I might have a rooster in my 4 chicken flock. What do you experts think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The GLW girl is like the SLW girls I got this year-turned red early on, but definitely girls. GLW males color up differently than the pullets. Yours is quite red and has wattles as large as my 16 week old GLW pullet, so cant say for certain. The comb is still quite flat, though, so maybe you're okay there. Your BR is a pullet for sure.

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Look like girls in those pictures.

4. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I am thinking girls too. I have a BLRW that was growing wattles really early. She is now 16 weeks and has all characteristics of a pullet. Her wattles grew well but no comb as of yet. Another chicken I was positive was a roo. Had a large comb and wattle really early on. Last week he laid an egg. So wait til you hear the crow or see the egg. Some birds just don't want you to know what sex they are.

5. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    The Barred Rock is a hen.

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    The Barred Rock is a 'cute' [​IMG] --dunno on gender, though.
    They all look pretty feminine to me. Don't put to much stock in my gender opinions, though--'Ella' and 'Missy' sure looked nice and feminine until they they started crowing in protest while still in the brooder. Elder and Mister still seem to hold a bit of a grudge against me about it...

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Here is a photo of my GLW's at 11 weeks - I was afraid they were boys but everyone assured me they were girls:

[​IMG]

And here is the one I knew was a girl:

[​IMG]

I hope you can see the difference and why I was concerned. The wattles on the first two are much redder, and the comb is larger than the third one's. But I've come to realize the third one has a problem with her comb, someday I'll take a photo of it closeup (if I can catch her!) and post it.

8. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    The BR looks girlie to me. Does she have quite a bit of black on her feet? That was another trick the guy who sold me my chicks taught me--the girls are usually darker in color (more black than gray int eh feathers) and have more black on their feet. So far it seems about right to me. Those GLW are so darn cute! I really can't add any more chickens this season though--if I keep telling myself that, maybe I'll believe it. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by