Please tell me this guy BO is a roo....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by artsyrobin, Apr 4, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    hi, i bought this chick to replace my roo and am hoping it is a roo- what do you all think?
    can you look at this guy and tell whether he is a he or she? i tried to determine by wing feathers-

[​IMG]

2. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think it is still to young to tell but maybe someone else will chime in. Iam still a newbie at this [​IMG]

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Too young. Sorry! Check back at 4 weeks. That's when the combs start to grown big enough to tell!

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    He's waaaay too young to tell for sure. I have found, however, with some breeds you can denote difference in behaviour even at that age. Little roos give the stink eye big time and are more inclined to approach a human. I don't know if BOs are one of those breeds.

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Buff Orpingtons can't be feather sexed.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    sigh...so even if he has stubby wings- see it all started when my dog killed my BA roo chick, he snuck out behind me and the dog was there, he wasn't supposed to be in the house... i am left with these gals, BO, maybe one of them is a roo??

[​IMG]

so i went to the feed store hoping i could determine a roo from the batch...came home with these

[​IMG]

7. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    bad dog! if those are the two birds you still have in the first picture, the one on the right looks like roo, but i'm not sure.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I believe you still have yourself a BO roo. He's the one on the right in the pic of the two older ones.

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Well, i have a BA hen, 2 BO, and a RI hen that are all the same age- then the other 3 are maybe 5 days old- still miss that roo though and can't see the dog without seeing the roo dying in my arms...darn dog, didn't know he was in the house...

10. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:How old are these?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by