Please tell me this is just a sore?! And not something worse!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JodiLynn, Dec 26, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    My latest chicken experience has turned out to be a nightmare! I got 2 chocolate orps & 2 olandsk dwarfs for Christmas. These 4 birds came from a NPIP/AI clean breeder with a good reputation. less than 24 hours after I got them 1 of the chocolate's died of cocci (I am pretty sure as I saw blood and he was fluffed up, I couldn't get the corid in him in time) These birds have not touched my property but are being held in a building up the road to ensure the safety of our flock.

The remaining 3 are on day 4 of their corid treatment since they came together. When I first cleaned the comb it was swollen and red with what looked like a small cut on it. I am treating with iodine and Neosporin. Is there anything else I can do? I wanted to post to make sure this was not fowl pox? I have never seen it but with all these issues I had to ask.
    A side note: they all had lice/mites and have been dusted for this as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Congratulations with your biosecurity practices. The comb appears to have some type of injury as you suspect, continue treating it like you're doing. If it were fowl pox, there would be more nodules on the comb, wattles, and around the eyes unless it's the onset of the virus...you'll have to keep an eye on the it and see if it spreads, as well as among the others. Six weeks is the recommended quarantine time for new birds, this will give you plenty of time to see if it's fowl pox and any other "surprises" they may have.

3. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Thanks Dawg. I have another thread that is about these same bunch of birds. I believe one may have a respiratory issue because I see bubbly eyes. I am just at a lost with these birds but glad that this is unlikely to be fowl pox but as you said they will be kept away from the farm for a long while and if its respiratory we will have to make some hard decisions. :(

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Bubbly eyes isnt good unless it's an environmental problem such as some type of debris in the eye; a saline flush to the eye would take care of it hopefully. Otherwise it would most likely be a respiratory disease. It could be infectious coryza, mycoplasma gallisepticum, maybe infectious bronchitis. Keep in mind that these diseases can be spread via clothing, shoes, hands, feeders, waterers etc....and there are different strains that may or may not show all the symptoms. Only time will tell while they're in quarantine.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Yes I am washing cloths daily. We make sure the shed is the last stop of the day and we shower/change cloths after visiting. I hope this is enough. I cleaned out the eye well and if it is recurring I guess I have my answer. The are in a converted 55 gallon aquarium that has been fitting with computer fans for circulation, they have pine shavings in there. The smell is not bad in there so I do not think it is the environment. Especially since these guys came with so many issues. I will give it time, should I separate the chocolate with the eye issue from the dwarfs? Thanks again!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If they've already been together, and if it's a respiratory problem, most likely they've been exposed. (I think you already knew this.) :(

8. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    This is what I thought that's why I haven't separated yet. I am going to talk to the breeder and see if he will refund, we just brought them home last Thursday. Is there a better way to select birds to buy or is it just a luck of the draw?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Luck of the draw I suppose. Good luck.

10. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I would take them out of the fish tank see if she gets better. Even with fans I would worry about ventilation. Make sure the shavings aren't dusty. The one in the pic is beautiful hope they get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by