Please tell me this is normal for a Buttercup hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkhope, May 22, 2007.

1. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    She (I hope) is 5 weeks old. Please check out the head gear [​IMG] and assure me she is a she! I've never had this breed before and I'm not sure what she should look like...

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well, that's the right head gear for a Buttercup. Not sure if it's a boy or a girl, though.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have five week old Buttercups, too, and judging that one against mine, I think you may have a roo. Mine have the little "crown" also but they are much much smaller than that.
    I'm crossing my fingers for you though! [​IMG]

4. silkhope

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    [​IMG] OH please, say it aint so! Guess I'll just have to watch for another few weeks. I definitely can not have another roo, I already have two.

Thanks for the input.

5. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    Judging by the color of its feathers, I think your chick is a girl. Buttercup hens and roosters have different colored feathers-the hens are salmon colored in front and speckled in the back, and the roosters are mostly a red color. I have seven full grown Buttercups at the moment, and your Buttercup chick definitely looks like my Buttercup hens-NOT the roosters!

6. silkhope

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Thanks Betsy, I hope you're right! [​IMG] She (?) is definitely the dominant one of the bunch. I keep fussing at her, she's constantly jumping on/at the others.

7. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    What breeds are your other chickies? I just some more Buttercup chicks along with some golden Lakenvelders and Dominques and the Buttercups are much bolder than the rest so her dominance could just be the breed!

8. silkhope

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    She's with ameracaunas, black spanish and cochin, 7 total. She is definitely more aggressive... it looks as though she's getting little wattles now too, unlike the others. UGH! I will be heart broken if I have to give up another chicken.

9. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    You need to watch for a splash of red on their back. If it starts turning red on her/his back then it will be a roo. They look exactly alike for weeks till the roo suddenly starts getting in his roo colors the breast feathers will be red also. But the color change will start on their back. Females won't get the salmon look till the have a secondary growth of feathers. By the time they are laying they will look like they should. Keep watching. If you see a splotch of red on their backs then its definately a roo.

Arklady

10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Maybe these pics will help you. Ellen, our Buttercup pullet had a teeny comb at 6 1/2 weeks of age last August. Here is Ellen at 8 1/2 months this past February.
    (click for larger images)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited: May 29, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by