Please tell me this isnt a Rooster...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NineAndCounting, Jun 28, 2016.

1. NineAndCounting

NineAndCounting Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Bought from big feed store at 2 days old and now 4 months. Golden Sexlink. Let me know if I need better pictures. Are either of them roosters?[​IMG]I[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. ashleyr

ashleyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Both look like pullets to me. Golden sexlink roos are mostly white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Coloration definitely leads one to believe they are pullets. Its why people like sex links so much. Roos have a blonde color to them. They have long legs but other than that they look like pullets.

4. laurapeers

laurapeers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Lovely ladies!!! X

5. Shaunassy

Shaunassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Fl
    Based off the pictures they both look like hens to me. I had two sex link hens that look exact like them. If your going by the comb size its hard to tell. I have 9 hens all mixed breed and atleast 5 of them have really big combs but they all lay so they def arnt roosters. So even with the big comb it could go either way. But on my pet chicken website it states that "If you have a "sex link" chick, it's easy! Males and females hatch out different colors. Red Stars are a very common sex link, and the females are a reddish-gold while the males are a buttery color." Based of my expirence that statement was true to my sexlink chicks. So id say you have to hens.

6. NineAndCounting

NineAndCounting Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Whew!! Thanks! My husband had me convinced that she was a he because her comb is bigger than the others but her body shape and feathers are the same so I wasn't sure. Glad she's going to lay! Her name is Rooster... Can't change it now, she knows it! Lol

7. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    I got some 'red sexlinks pullets ' from TSC i got twelve it turns out that there not red sexlink at all and i only got 1 hen the rest was rooster and some died when they were young here's a pic of or suppose to red sexlink rooster [​IMG]i was not happy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. laurapeers

laurapeers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Why has that chicken got no head???

9. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    [​IMG] [​IMG] he has one but you cant see it

10. Shaunassy

Shaunassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Fl
    Yea the comb thing is kinda tricky to go by, this pic is of my year and a half old Rode Island Red hen. You can see its pretty big lol but with her comb like that Rooster is the perfect name for her:)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by