Please tell me this poor excuse for a chicken is molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom25, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Dear Rockin' Robin was sick for a while so I haven't seen an egg for months. She seemed to recover from whatever was ailing her and now my yard looks like it snowed ( we are in Southern Calif. ). Her tail fell out yesterday completely. I am worried the temps are dropping down into the 50s at night and she is naked. Should I bring her in at night? Is she molting? She hardly looks like a chicken especially next to my 8 month old Plymouth Rocks who look closer to the size of turkeys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The low light conditions, ie, shorter days of autumn, trigger the moult in most birds. It is normal. Don't worry about her. Nature does this in autumn and she'll be fine. Besides, you live in So California for goodness sake!! LOL Those of us with moulting birds in genuinely cold climates don't worry about it, so you shouldn't either. Just feed her well, lots of high protein to allow for feather regrowth.

3. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    thank you so much. I was a little worried she is so naked.

4. duckie mama

duckie mama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    give her a handful of kitten food every morning it is 40o/o protein and will help her feather in faster as the feathers are all protein

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by