Please, tell me to let him go

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StarLover21, Feb 10, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I can't bring myself to do it!!!
    We captured a baby red eared slider turtle from our local creek (we can see it from our house), and brought it to our house because my mother needed it for biology, for just a week. We have a roomy tank, feed him mealworms, crickets, lettuce, turtle food, and clean out his tank every week. So the week turned into three week- she needed it longer. Now the animal planet activity is over- I've let all the other animals go. But I love the turtle so much! We named him picasso- he'll come up to the glass and beg for mealworms, and is very freindly.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

He is probably use to being fed by now and not having to worry about protecting him self. I do not know a thing about turtles so maybe i am wrong and he can be released. If you dont maybe get him a friend so he is not lonely?

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Think of how much richer his life will be in the wild, as opposed to confined to a little tank. He will do as well as any other turtle baby will. Yes it is riskier, but maybe he will be one of those that grow, florish and pass on their genes to the next generation.

4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Aquatic turtles are very difficult to provide an appropriate environment for in captivity. Even the small local zoo here has problems with shell rot in their sliders on a regular basis. Even without seeing your set up, I can still be fairly certain that you don't have adequate filtration on your tank, especially if you are feeding him in the same tank he lives in. He will be better off in the wild. Not to mention that in most states what you have done is completely illegal unless you have a permit.

5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Technically if the turtle had come from a pet store it is actually illegal in most states to release them back in the wild.

However, since you captured this turtle from the creek it is still fine UNLESS it has had contact with any other pet turtle.

I would agree they are hard to manage we had one growing up that lived 15 years! It was huge and ended up being lucky that my parents built a good sized pond for him where he lived his life out. They aren't hard pets but they litterally are a life time commitment!

6. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    aren't red ears invasive? Being cold blooded I would wait for warm weather if returning to creek.

7. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yes, they are one of the invasive speacies they are very adapatable and cause issues with where they are living, but I think they our great pets. But the ones you buy from pet stores contain bacteria and other dieases that are not common in its wild counterpart and can cause major issues. They actually hibernate during winter. I think you should just keep it as a pet its used to eating from you just be ready to commit!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Red ear sliders are a native species in the Southern US. My gut says that this is a wild born creature that deserves to be returned to his native environment once conditions are favorable for its survival.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by