Please tell me we're close!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Babybella1111, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Babybella1111

Babybella1111 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    My RIR and Partridge Rock are 24 weeks old. I'm trying to be patient but... I Want Eggs!!!! So, I've included a link to my photobucket album with pictures of two of my girls. They are the first four pictures.
    http://m965.photobucket.com/albums/...7mykOsuQxBDw2CQWFteX6lwjZnGpQQMlInzfpdQpqH30=

I think that will work. If not I'll try a different way. Anyways, their wattles and combs are pretty big and red, and they've been really vocal lately. One of them has been checking out the nest box, but I can't watch thm all day, so they may all be. No squatting yet, but they kind of just run away from me anyways! So what do you more experienced chicken owners think? Are we close?[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep. [​IMG] You should expect some within 1 day to 1 week.

3. Babybella1111

Jun 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] yay!! I'll be checking like crazy! ( not that I don't already!)[​IMG]

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I just got my first egg last week but I wanted to let you know that the only sign I have had from my girls (including the only one that is laying) is the larger, redder combs and wattles (well wattles for the Wyandottes [​IMG] ) I have not had a single girl squat for me and have not heard the egg song yet so you might or might not get those before or after your first egg shows up. Good luck and hope it is soon for you! I was totally blown away when I found my first egg since I had been checking for a couple of weeks and found nothing and then one day just there it was! It is so much fun to find the first one! [​IMG]

5. Babybella1111

Jun 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Quote:Congratulations on your egg!!! That great![​IMG] I hope it's soon for me as well! The wait does seem to take forever!!

6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    They look close. Mine started checking out the nest boxes within a couple of days of laying, and a couple were heard practicing the egg song. I didn't get a squat until after I got an egg.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by