1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please, tell me what breed this is so I can enter a show!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by saranbensmom, Sep 7, 2008.

1. saranbensmom

saranbensmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    I am quite ignorant of chicken breeds (though i am learning quickly, thanks to BYC). Could y'all please tell me what breed these bantams are? I plan to enter the roo in the crowing contest as well - he has quite a voicebox!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Does that pullet have a pea comb or a single comb? Could be a Lt Sussex on the rooster. The hen looks like something else, maybe a columbian Wyandotte. Several breeds look like that; the Wyandotte (pea comb), Columbian Rock or Lt Sussex.

3. saranbensmom

saranbensmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Again, I'm ignorant - looks like a pea comb to me - that or dubbed. And I thought they were a pair.....and they were sold to me as a pair. What do you think of their quality (from what little you can tell in the pics)? Will I get laughed out of a local fair show? [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

I honestly cant tell quality. I dont have any of the Columbian patterned birds other than my Brahmas. The rooster and hen could be the same breed; for instance, Wyandottes are often hatched with a single comb, although they should have a rose comb. Brahmas have the pea comb, but yours have no leg feathering so they cant be Brahmas. The hen's body shape is like a Brahma, but I just am not sure. You may need a different picture to be able to pinpoint the breed. They look like Columbian Rocks or Lt Sussex, but which, I'm dont know.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  5. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Lakenvelder ?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  6. speckledhen

Hmm, I really dont think Lakenvelder. The hackles are different and Lakenvelders have solid black hackles, not like these birds.

7. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I agree with speckledhen, not Lakenvelder. From the pic, the hen looks like a Columbian Wyandotte to me, too.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The roo looks very similar to a silver penciled rock, but do they come in bantams? [​IMG]
    Could we get closer looks at the hen's comb?

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't think you wil be laughed out of a local show. I've never showed a bird myself, but I have a friend in the local bird fancier's club, and they seem like a jolly bunch of folks!

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The male looks like a light sussex and the hen looks like a columbian wyandotte. As far as type goes, I do not know the standard for either breed, but as for the color, neither exhibit a very good example of a columbian colored bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by