Please tell me what kind of hen this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Amy54, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Amy54

Amy54 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    Georiga
    So here is my laying hen she was bought as a baby chick back in april at my local farm please some people say shes rhode island some say she isnt could u tel me what breed she is thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    My guess would be red sexlink. Was she hatched on the farm, or at a hatchery? Definitely not RIR.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    She looks like a red sex link to me.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She's a sex-link [​IMG]

5. Amy54

Amy54 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    Georiga
    I know she didnt look like a Rhode island red that why i asked and do u see that white leghorn do yall think thats a hen?>?

6. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Need a full body pic of the leghorn. Can't tell from what's there. Sorry.

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    My guess is pullet. Males have the biggest combs I've ever seen.

8. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Looks like an ISA Brown...

"The ISA Brown is a hybrid type of Sex Link chicken, which is the result of crossing Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. The ISA Brown is a hybrid, not a true breed. It is known for its high egg production of approximately 300 eggs per hen in the first year of laying.

ISA stands for Institut de Sélection Animale, the company which developed the breed in 1978 for egg production as a battery hen. In 1997, the ISA Group merged with Merck & Co, forming Hubbard ISA, so the breed is sometimes called Hubbard Isa Brown. In 2005, Institut de Sélection Animale (ISA) and Hendrix Poultry Breeders (HPB) merged. Institut de Sélection Animale SAS, France (ISA SAS) is now an operational centre of Hendrix Genetics. In March 2005, Hubbard was purchased from Merial Ltd by Group Grimaud La Corbiere, SA.

The cross is a friendly pet, very confident and not afraid to go first but when it gets older it becomes a little bit pecky and eats a lot more. They are very good layers."

Thank you, Wikipedia.

9. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Red Star [​IMG]

10. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:All the chickens in that picture look like hens. I agree that the red hen is a Red Sex-link. Leghorn hens have huge combs and leghorn roosters have combs that need their own zip code. You have a hen. I don't see saddle feathers on the hen hiding behind the red hen, so even though the picture's not the best, I'm going to go ahead and call it as a hen.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by