Please tell me what these are or why they have blackish combs!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HenPecked_bychildren, Jan 1, 2011.

1. HenPecked_bychildren

HenPecked_bychildren Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    UPDATE IN POST 9

Can we tell roosters yet? I think I see 2 for sure. They are a little over 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is Big Mama, she is HUGE. I hope she stays a girl. Her comb isn't developed at all, so I am hopeful. If not he is going to be named Big Mama.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They LOVE the sand for dusting and scratching.
    [​IMG]

We got them off craigslist so I hope they are really dark brahmas. lol. Can they be feathered and clean legged?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    There's definitely at least 2 roosters there. At 2 weeks of age, any chick that has a bright pink comb is a boy -- keep watching the others too - usually pink combs by 5 -6 weeks means a cockerel. Also watch the wattles - that's another early sign to watch for.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I see at least 2 roosters.

I will also say that there not pure Brahma...

Chris

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I see two cockerels that aren't Brahmas, but otherwise the Brahmas look so far like pullets. When they feather out a little more, you can sex them by color pattern. (females will be grey, white, and black pencilled; males will be black and white)

5. Brahma Trenton

Brahma Trenton Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Michigan
    I only see two possibly three Dark Brahmas.... sorry, just thought I'd let you know

6. HenPecked_bychildren

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    So which ones do you think are dark brahmas? What do you think the others might be a mix of?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The only ones that are (or at least are part) Dark Brahmas are the brownish ones with the feathered legs and light coloration. If you look at them yourself you'll notice their combs are small but wide, with three distinct rows of bumps. The black and white chicks are not Brahmas at all, but probably Australorps or Jersey Giants. They're the ones with featherless legs, purely black and white coloration, and single combs (sawtooth edge)

It actually looks like you have a couple mutts in there, maybe one or two Brahmas, and the rest are Australorps or Jersey Giants.

8. HenPecked_bychildren

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    Thanks everyone. I guess we'll wait a few weeks to see how they feather out. I think there are 5 roos, but I'm going to wait a couple more weeks to be sure. I am bummed there isn't a brahma(or at least part brahma roo as they are so pretty, but whatever.) I'm happy with any austrolorps and as long as they lay eggs I'll take any jersey giants. lol. As for mutts, EE are mutts and amazing layers, so mutts are okay too.

I have some pure breds(hopefully) coming from hodges and a large variety of breeds coming from meyers in March. Not looking for show birds, just some pretty backyard layers. We loved our last flock and suddenly and violently lost them a few weeks ago. [​IMG]

9. HenPecked_bychildren

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    So an update to my first post. The chicks are 7 weeks old now. There are 5 roosters for sure. They are all black. There are 5 other black chicks, who knows what they are. Their combs are black? I don't know...The Bramaesque chicks are girls(I think and hope). They are very pretty even if they aren't true brahma. It's the odd black combed black chicks that are freaking me out. They are hideously ugly because of their black combs. What's up with that?

[​IMG] girl???

[​IMG] just now looking at this pic I see waddles developing. The other roosters we have have HUGE combs and waddles, but this one has bigger than the next pic...so what is it?

[​IMG] black combed girl??

[​IMG]

10. HenPecked_bychildren

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    Someone? I know someone has to know what's up with the combs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by