PLEASE tell me what to do...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosemi78, Mar 22, 2013.

1. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    26 chicks hatched 2 nights ago. The last to hatch was assisted. She made it through that first night and was put into the brooder with the rest of the chicks yesterday afternoon. She was smaller and not quite as strong as the others, but seemed to be gaining strength as time went on. Very vocal, moving all over. Well, I just got home from work & found her laying unresponsive in the brooder. She's still breathing, but is limp. I'm not ready to give up on her. Should I make her an emergency brooder just for her??? That's the only thing I can think of... She has already been through hell hatching & I want to do all I can to help her survive.

[​IMG]

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Try getting her to eat something would be my first step...food and water. Perhaps add some vitamins to said water and see if you can get some in her.

3. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    I considered that, but she's unresponsive. I have to get her to wake up first...

4. TMASportsman

TMASportsman New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Time, keep the lil bugger warm and hope it starts responding. Honestly, the odds are stacked against that one. Raises an alarm for me that assistance in hatching was needed. In all the time I raised birds, never had one do well that needed help coming into the world. Hard to witness nature at work sometimes.

All things happen for a reason. Good luck though maybe you can twist fate enough to bring this one around.

1 person likes this.
  5. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Thanks, TMA. Here's a picture so you can see why she needed help. She didn't pip on either end, but in the middle... Only my second hatch, but hadn't had any others pip like this, so after over 24hrs I have in and helped her... I'm afraid the other chicks might have just trampled her... :( I feel so guilty.
    [​IMG]

6. Janetm

Janetm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Well, I am very new at this but I had the same thing happen with our recent hatch.

The last chick was assisted, (thanks to all the wonderful posts here) and very small and weak. I made special sure that she drank an knew where the food was when I put her in the brooder. I also gave her a couple of drops of nutridrench. I dropped it straight from the bottle right on the end of her beak, holding her tilted back a bit. I know she swallowed it. I also have the nutridrench in the water. Then back to the brooder with the others. She slept more than them which worried me I kept checking and made sure she was drinking and eating.

A week later and while she is still smaller than the others she is just fine. Hope it all works out well for your chick.

7. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Actually, I think she's dehydrated. Can I put her back in the incubator so she can breathe in the moist air since she's not capable of drinking at this point????

8. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    I'm so glad your baby is doing well and growing! :)

9. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Okay, I put her back in the incubator hoping the higher humidity will help to get some moisture into her lungs...

[​IMG]

10. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    She's gone...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by