Please Tell Me You Dont See A Roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shell25, Nov 6, 2010.

1. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Im thinking i may have a roo, ive got what i thought were 3 pullets, i was told i have a BR, Splash and BA, i was told these breeds when i first got them so i may even have the wrong breeds. They are apparntly 16 week old but i think the splash & ba are alot younger as they are tiny compared to the BR.

Recently i have noticed some strange noises coming from the coop abit like "BAR" if you know what i mean, im pretty sure i heard it from the BA today.

Secondly when i opened out garden gate (makes a creak) the BR stood tall fluttered its feathers for a second and then went in the coop, this 1 as got really big all of a sudden, she was purchased at the same time as the splash. (i personally thought she was going to start giving us eggs soon, with the red comb etc)

The only 1 id bet is a pullet is the splash she is so little and hew comb as only justed started to show and is still really pale.

So my questions, Are they all pullets (pretty please)??? Whats your breed opinion? Whats your age opinion??

Thankyou in advance for any advice...

this is my BR: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

this is my splash: [​IMG]

this is my BA: [​IMG] [​IMG]

my BA 3 week ago: [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    What breed is the splash colored one (splash is a marking, not a breed)? They look like they may be getting ready to lay. At 16 weeks old, I'd say all females.

3. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Get ready for some eggs![​IMG] IMHO they're all females.

4. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Quote:I think someone mentioned splash orpington?? The splash 1 is the smallest of them, she's my fave.

5. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Quote:Oh thank goodness, what is that noise ive been hearing ive youtubed the egg song and its nothing like that, maybe they just practising.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Nope

The first one is a Barred Rock mix cockerel. From what I can tell his leggs are not yellow right ? Pure barred rocks have yellow leggs. He is dark colored like barred rock hens becuase, like I said he is most likely as mix so he would be het barred with only one copy of barring like barred hens. But even the barring pattern if off for hens so he looks like I mixed cockerel to me.

The second one is a pullet and is a Splash colored somthing, but Splash is a color, not a breed and I'm not sure which breed. It looks like it has some red leakage around its throat so it may be a mix too.

And the third one does look like a pullet but it is not a Black Australorp. Australorps are solid black and dont have feathered leggs, yours looks like a Black Copper Marans pullet.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    And most roosters sound pretty pathetic when they first start trying to crow so thats probably the weird noice you are hearing.

8. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Number 1 is a boy

9. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Quote:no they are not yellow more of a dirty cream colour, the strange noice i heard today came from the black 1 this morning, i hope its not a roo, ive already had to swap 1 apparant pullet as she turned out to be a roo, found that out at 12 week when he jumped on the splash, i have been told the splash may be an orpington. So theres no possible way its a pullet that gona start laying any day soon,

10. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    some have said pullet and some roo, what make you think this way. The comb and wattle have turned redder about a week ago, and ive been trying to look for feather types roo's have and dont see any, but then again im new. Be gutted if shes a he, ive laready had to return 1 as he sold us the wrong sex!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by