Please tell me you dont think this is Coryza!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by browning6, Aug 26, 2013.

1. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    This is a 20 week old hen that i hatched. She has always been healthy as far as i knew. I noticed about 4 months ago that several of my chickens had minor runny fluid on their beaks. Mostly at night when i would check on them.

Last week this hen was lethargic and had a swollen eye. It started on one side only then spread to the other side. Their were a few days that it looked better and then things took a huge turn for the worse. Both eyes swollen shut and crusted with pus. I broke them open and washed them with clean water and placed triple antibiotic ointment in them. A ton of thick pus came out but i didn't smell anything.

I had already tried 1cc of Penicillin so i tried another antibiotic used for cattle that is a lot stronger (resflor Gold) and I gave her .5 cc. I tried to get in sub-cutaneous but i got it intramuscular and the next day she was dead. I don't know if the antibiotic killed her or the disease. She was eating and drinking during this time but not very much. this whole process was about a week long.

[​IMG]

2. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    From your description, it sounds like the ubiquitous Mycoplasma. Penicillin has no effect on it. Tiamulin (Denagard, Chevimulin-T) and doxycyline (generic) are probably the best for Mycoplasma.

A cursory Google search tells me that your dosage was probably close enough and both of the main ingredients appear to be used in chickens, at least experimentally. So it may have just been a coincidence or maybe you injected it intravenously? Next time, draw back on the plunger and see if you get blood. Also, remember not to inject any air.

3. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    thanks for the reply. I am taking the bird in for a necropsy today. I hope it isnt anything serious or the state of ca will cull all of my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by