Please tell they are in fact all she's !! =)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vlselz, Nov 7, 2013.

1. vlselz

vlselz Out Of The Brooder

Okay folks,
    my background...I have 3 chickens I got that were hatched from a friends farm on May 17th ...( they are my under ground illegals...shhh I originally questioned them being roosters b/c my first set of pullets I got from a unknown source happened to be ALL roosters (my luck)! Anyways I gave those back and found a reliable source and got 3 more. 2 BR and 1 BO. Now a friend saw some pics of mine and said I have a rooster because the comb and wattles are way to big to be a female hen. Now im double guessing myself AGAIN....please take a look at my "girls" and tell me what you think they are?? Am I right are they in fact Pullets? Im waiting for my first eggs before winter hits (I live in Colorado) My smallest hen i went to pick up today and she crouched down...I heard that means she's almost ready to lay, YAY I cant wait..Am I waiting for eggs from 2 and a crow from 1 or are they all hens. Thanks for taking a look =)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Pumkin" (nicknamed, b/c kiddos call her Chkn Little)

[​IMG]
    above shot of ":girls"

[​IMG]
    Kiesha the one on me is the "questionable" hen ;) I was cleaning the coop and she was very curious ;)
    [​IMG]
    sorry pumpkin moved for a plane overhead...gessh ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Dora" my sons fave...after his Fave. show ;)

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those are healthy, beautiful hens. The two barred rocks look ready to lay anytime, the buff will be longer--she may wait until spring, from the look of her comb. But I'd be looking for eggs from those barred ladies anytime. Those nice red combs are normal for a sexually mature hen.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    x2, they are ready to start laying

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All are pretty little pullets. The Barred Rocks should start laying soon, but the Buff Orpington may wait until spring.

5. vlselz

YAY [​IMG]SOOOOO happy I cant even tell you three!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Keisha is the largest and most dominant, my Son Nick's Favorite hen "Dora" went into a submissive position today like I said when I went to grab her. She tucked close to the ground with wings spread (like she was getting ready to be mounted, we assume ) so I think she will be first to lay funny thing is her body size is the smallest of the 3. (between the BR its one of the ways I have to be able to tell them apart, other than their little personal quirks [​IMG] . I believe my BO will be the last to lay as well,( although she is the first to be picked up "willingly", and come running for treats...hence her booty)[​IMG].

Thanks so much again for the fast replies...I love my girls and as I said they are illegal (were fighting city council and have 4 out of 6 votes needed and a petition in place so hopefully soon) so having a rooster is a NO NO here. So I am VERY glad I got it right this time ;) I will post pics of soon to be eggs to come!!

6. vlselz

I LOVE your quote at the bottom of your signature A chicken enabling husband very funny[​IMG]

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Thank you :) He wasn't much interested in them when I started out now he is like "oh you don't HAVE to sell those chickens with the big hairdos do you? I think they're pretty cool" and "well there's enough time to raise one more batch of meat chickens before winter, we should get 15...or 30" :lol:

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Just an fyi--it looks like your birds are ranging in your back yard. New layers don't have a clue what those nice nest boxes we make for them are, they tend to find their own places to lay. Under shrubs, behind daylilies, in the dogfood, behind trash cans......you get the idea. You might start confining those barred girls at least just to be sure no one's already laying, unless they're totally supervised while out.

9. vlselz

Im a nurse that takes care of my own disabled child so I'm home almost constantly however, I only let them out only while they can be somewhat supervised while I kennel my dogs( i have 3 dogs a Rhodesian Ridgeback and 2 Italian greyhounds plus about a GIZZILION cats next door that are constantly on the loose). Most the time I let them free range everyday near the last half of the afternoon, but that makes ALOT of sense to look around for eggs. I will keep an eye out while they are out n about b/c I never really thought of that before, that'd be my luck me waiting for eggs and my dogs finding the first ones[​IMG]! My friend told me about the hens squatting position and becoming very vocal near "lay time"which they are more so than normal so maybe they are laying and I just dont think so because my pretty nest box isnt being used.

10. vlselz

Now thats funny...sounds like my hubby except after I got mine we found out the were illegal and yes he is still ok with it. Actually he says he doesnt see why they'd be illegal they "dont ever cause any problems" &^ you can't hear or smell them like most dogs & cats" If I lived elsewhere on land I'd probably have severe "Chicken Math" but until then I'll live vicariously thru you guys and be happy with my beautiful "GIRLS[​IMG]" til then. (btw we will be moving out into the country in less than a year we hope) YAY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by