Please tell us about mailing older chickens!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chicabee19, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I've read some threads where someone has mailed older pullets and full-grown chickens.

Could someone please lay out for us how this is done?

Such as...

how do you keep them from getting thrown around & upside down?

what do they drink and eat during the trip, etc?

thank you! [​IMG]

2. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I got my adult Seramas through the mail. They have to go overnight and are shipped in special boxes. That's about all I know [​IMG]

3. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    I purchased 8 one day old chicks from My Pet Chicken.
    The box is normally a wierd shape, so that something cannot be put on top of them.
    For baby chicks they put a little heat pad to keep them warm and have a little bit of special gel in there in case they are hungry. Normally the chicks are hatched then the next day shipped off to thier new owners. They are only in the box for a little over 24 hours. [​IMG] Hope I helped a little bit [​IMG]

4. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I've had chickens sent to me in special boxes that had ventilation holes and litter on the bottom. They were sent through the post office and fed little pieces of apples and grapes. The little chicks that I've been sent are also sent with little pieces of fruit but they basically live off the yolk in their bodies which last for a couple of days.

[​IMG]

5. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    http://www.hm-e.net/

These
    people have all the shipping boxes and info you will need. Since I live in a really rural area, I usually have to call the Post Office 24 hours before I ship to see if it will be a one or two shipping time, and pack the birds accordingly. Adult birds or well started ones can handle a 24 to 48 hour shipping time.Although I always pack with apple quarters or halves for moisture if they want it.

6. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    :)Shipping boxes of live birds or animals don't go on the regular conveyer belts for regular packages, so they should not get turned upside down.
    The post office requires that chickens be shipped in approved shipping boxes such as one made by Horizon and they must have bio-filters on the ventilation holes. I have seen them for sale on Eggbid.com, under the 'supplies' category.
    When I ship, I put a little shavings in the bottom of the box. I use little margarine cups or applesauce cups and zip tie one into the corner, I put some chicken feed in it that I have moistened with vitamin/electrolyte water, I also put some frozen peas or corn soaked in vitamin/elect water mixed in with the chicken feed - this will help keep the bird hydrated during the trip, (you can not put a dish of water in a shipping box). You can also quarter an apple and put it in there for the chicken to pick at, make sure you cut out the seeds, they are toxic.
    I have shipped a number of chickens this way and they have arrived in good shape.
    They have to be shipped 'Express Mail', in most cases they get there overnight, but sometimes it takes a second day. Also, if you are the one that is shipping out, you need to check on the shipping regulations to the State you are shipping to. Some require a form from your Dept of Agriculture stating you are NPIP certified Typhoid and Pullorum free, and some require a vet certification form that your chicken is healthy.
    Hope I have not forgotten anything.

Hope this helps answer your questions. [​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by