Please weigh in about a poultry veterinarian!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbackel88, Sep 28, 2011.

1. kbackel88

kbackel88 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Hi Everyone, I just joined this site and I am very new to using these forums. I have a small inquiry. I am currently a first year veterinary student at Cornell University, and am proposing to start a poultry club here at the school. I am very interested in poultry but the career path for most poultry vets trends towards large, business oriented production farms. I however am interested in small production systems and backyard farming. I was curious is there is a demand/need for more veterinarians who specifically see and treat poultry as both production animals and as pets. Can anyone weigh in? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    In Colorado Springs I only found one vet that would see my birds. There is definantly a growing demand and too few vets deal with birds.

3. kbackel88

Sep 28, 2011
    Ah! That is fantastic to hear, even if from one person so far. I'm so excited about the growing interest in backyard flocks! I noticed that there is a lot of health questions on this site as well, hopefully I can come up with some answers for you all in a few years [​IMG]

4. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    How is Cornell? im 14 and i want to go there sooooo bad

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree with Chick, there will be a growing demand for poultry vets out there. I am lucky to find a vet that deals with not only pets, but also wild animals, fowl and zoo animals. And he is not cheap either but his business really took off from there!

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I think you should go for it. It is very hard to find someone interested in chickens. What area would you be in?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I considered this route... I am getting a PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology instead.

If you can get a foot hold in a larger city where people have the money to pay for "exotic" animal services, you may be able to do quite well... but enough people with the $$ to pay for a chicken is likly the limiting factor. When I was considering ag vet stuff, pigs was were the need and demand was at.

8. kbackel88

Sep 28, 2011
    I'm thinking about having a mixed practice for dogs/cats/small ruminants/poultry eventually. I have no idea where I would want to be. Probably along the east coast somewhere, where there would be a high demand. Its a bit far off in the future at the moment, but hey a girl can dream.

Silkielover - I absolutely love it here at Cornell. Feel free to contact me with any questions, I'd be happy to answer/help.

9. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I think it's a great idea. There is only one vet in our area that treats chickens, they also do parrots and other birds, dogs, cats and even reptiles. The practice seems to be doing very well so I think with the right mix you would have a great career.

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I am taking 2 chickens and a pea chick to my regular vet tomorrow night. They have been VERY good to me, but when it comes time to pay the bill, I hand the receptionist my credit card and tell her "I don't want to know".
    I sign it and leave. My babies need the care more than I need the cash.
    Just don't tell my husband....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by