Please weigh in...treat small bumblefoot scabs or leave alone?

kittyacid

Songster
14 Years
May 30, 2009
Clayton, NC
For those of you with experience, and I know there are many, do you actively treat small bumblefoot sores or leave them alone? I am speaking of ones that are the size of a pencil eraser or smaller and there are no signs of swelling, limping, etc. I saw these only because I looked at their feet. If you do treat, is it with removal or soaking in a salt or tricide neo solution? Thanks to all of you!

Last edited:
If there's no sign of swelling or redness and they don't have any trouble walking I would not treat them unless there is a problem. If you do decide to treat anyway I would do tricide neo soaks rather than cutting/etc.

I've been soaking a buff orphington hen, with a small scab and no swelling, in betadine/warm water. Some days I've done ebsom salt as well. Today is day five and the scab is not as dark and is a little smaller. At least I know her feet are disinfected each day.

One of my silkies is in this boat right now and I have elected to not cut open her feet as there is no swelling at all. She is walking around fine, etc.

This is just my personal opinion. If she develops swelling then I will operate. I worry about making an entrance for other germs by cutting open the foot.

ChickensAreSweet - Do you monitor the situation only or do you do any soaking or non-invasive treatment?

kittycooks - Are you wrapping the foot also or doing the daily soaks only?

Do these small spots sometimes go away on their own?
fl.gif

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom