PLEASE! Will anyone help me?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TajMahalChickens, Jul 1, 2010.

1. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    My 3 1/2 month old Delaware pullet started to be a little droopy about a week ago. It has gotten progressively worse, until today where she is just sitting on the floor with hers eyes closed, not moving. When it started she would take theses little "naps" but then she would go on pecking and scratching. Now she doesn't even go outside. She is limp if you pick her up. Sometimes when she naps she tilts her head to one side and then snaps it back. Sometimes she does that repetitively and it looks like she is twitching her head. None of my other 27 pullets seem to have the same thing.

I keep my pullets in a 8x10 coop on straw for bedding. They have had there run up for about two weeks. there is no grass in the run - only dirt. I have another flock of hens about 200 yds. away, and I have a pen of broilers about 20 ft away from the pullet shed, on the opposite side as the run. I feed Purina's Start & Grow.

Please help! Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. TajMahalChickens

Mar 22, 2010
    Those are definitely possibilities. However, neither of them memtioned symptoms of head twitching. Is there arything else that she could have?

She is going downihill fast. Please help!

3. TajMahalChickens

Mar 22, 2010
    She seems to have gotten a little better. She is a little less droopy. Now she takes her head out of her wing when I open the crate door. Still, I would like to know more about what might be wrong with her. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. TajMahalChickens

Mar 22, 2010
    I noticed that she never opens her eye lids all the way. It seems like when she's awake they are half-open. Does that help in diagnosing?

5. TajMahalChickens

Mar 22, 2010
    Do you think I should give her antibiotics?

6. TajMahalChickens

Mar 22, 2010
    Why isn't anyone responding? I really need help! She is still the same. Thanks Kedreeva for your help, but I would still need some more opinions!

7. the pampered egg

the pampered egg Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    I would try some antibiotics in her water. Also pedyalite may help if she is dehydrated. I had this happen to 3 of my pullets/roos and was only able to save 1. Good luck!

8. lanimilbus

lanimilbus In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Central Maine
    OP, if you're still around, how did your pullet turn out? I ask because two of my hens are exhibiting a few of the symptoms (eyes only ever half open, laying down with eyes closed and twitching head) and when I searched for it on here your post seemed the most similar so I'm really interested in knowing if you figured out what was wrong or if the chicken got any better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: