Pleased help me

Bevy

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
This is my first time hatching chics and I had 1 hatch yesterday at 9am and right after 1 pip and it has been pipped fo 31 hours like bigger than a dime and nothing is happening and I want to take out the chic that hatched ! What do I do?

This is my first time hatching chics and I had 1 hatch yesterday at 9am and right after 1 pip and it has been pipped fo 31 hours like bigger than a dime and nothing is happening and I want to take out the chic that hatched ! What do I do?
If you have your humidity up around 70% ish I would get a little cup of warm water. Some cotton balls or q-tips (I use q-tips) and some tweezers if you have some. (You might want to go ahead and grab a damp paper towel while you are at it.

Pull the egg out and careful chip the shell away at the pip to make it a little bigger so y ou can get an idea of what's going on. Are the membranes yellowish/brown leathery? Are they stuck to the chiken's down? That is the first thing that you need to asses.

If the membrane is drying and sticking to the chick it will prevent the chick from turning in the egg and hatching. In this case you will want take your wet q-tip or cotton ball and moisten the membrane. Gently loosen any membrane that may be stuck to the chick and moisten any membrane that is exposed to the air. If the chick appears to be in the proper position and is ok, you can wrap the paper towel around the back of the egg (not covering the pip and set him back in to give him time to make progress himself. Play this near the bator:

0.jpg

It should motivate the chick to get moving and do some of his own work.

If the chick's position in the egg is wrong, then you made need to do an assisted hatch.

I think it pipped at the narrow end of the. Egg
That would be a good reason why it's taking so long. Malepositioned pippers take longer to hatch. If you see blood when opening the pip hole, immediately stop, dab it with water, wrap the wet paper towel aaround it and put it back in because it's not ready. When the vascular system between the chick and egg shut down, it starts at the big end and slowly shuts down working it's way down to the small end, so the membranes there may still be very prominent.

As for the other chick, if you want to move him to the brooder that's fine.

I helped zip the egg and it's still not doing any thing, but she is peeping now

Back
Top Bottom