Pleased to meet you

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ima Novice, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Ima Novice

Ima Novice Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2015
    Middleburg, FL
    As you can tell from my user name, I am absolutely new to chickens. I've been trying to convince my hubby for years that we need some chickens in our kind of rural area but he had absolutely no interest. One day we were driving along and out of the blue he said, I think we should get some chickens. I didn't ask him why the mind change, I just went full stream ahead. We now have a coop in the back yard, fencing ready to be installed and when that's done -- hopefully this weekend -- the next step is getting some chickens.

We hope to raise chickens strictly for the eggs and probably will make pets of them, if possible. We live in North Florida where it's hot in the summer but can get below freezing briefly in the winter. So does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of chickens we should get. We want something that is a good layer but friendly with people. I know some chickens can tend to be aggressive so I'm hoping for some suggestions for some mild mannered chickens.[​IMG] We also hope to get one rooster and I've been told to get one that is fairly young so we have a better chance of raising him to be friendly towards humans.

Sure will appreciate any suggestions I can get.

2. Kraken Farmer

Kraken Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Central Georgia, USA
    Welcome![​IMG]

I have a fondness for Ameraucanas/Easter Eggers. I have not had one that was aggressive toward people, they are active, and they lay blue/green eggs.

If you want egg laying machines, sex-links are great plus you know what gender you are getting. (black-stars, red-stars, cinnamon queens, golden comets, any other name they could make up, etc....)

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which are readily available at most hatcheries and are very friendly and hardy egg laying machines. I raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year, with double yolks not being uncommon. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Most chickens tolerate cold much better than heat, so it would be good to join your state thread and ask around . Also in hot , humid areas coops are sometimes made with two solid walls and 2 walls of wire for air flow. In cold weather, solid panels will cover the wire ones.

1 person likes this.
  7. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Glad you joined the BYC flock! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. Ima Novice

Ima Novice Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2015
    Middleburg, FL
    Beautiful chickens. Where are you in Michigan? I was born and raised in Lansing. My brother still lives in lower Michigan and has a hobby farm. I think he is the one who first got me interested in chickens.

10. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by