plexi glass windows for winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cass1776, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cass1776

cass1776 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    Mass
    What would be the best way to attach Plexiglass windows for temporary winter use,then be able to remove them in the. spring ?any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I built a "U" shaped track on 3 sides that the Plexiglass can slide in. I can try to post a pic later if needed....

3. cass1776

Aug 28, 2010
    Mass
    I know what u mean that's a great idea

4. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Glue foam or rubber weather stripping around the plexi to help seal it if the U-track isn't snug enough,

5. TwilightMom

TwilightMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Livermore, California
    My husband is just going to screw them on for winter....then unscrew them when it's spring. This will be our first winter with chickens. We live in N. California so it doesn't snow here, tho it does dip into the 30's in winter.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We used screws after drilling the holes in the glass, the ones with rubber gaskets. You could also frame the plexiglass, and hinge the frame to make a window you can open and close. Remember to use 1/2" hardware glass on the other side for predator protection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I simply drilled holes in the plexiglass and screwed it to a frame made of 2x4s , I then attached this via two hinges to the inside of the opening. It swings inward for open and swings down to seal the opening. Works Great. [​IMG]

8. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Here is what I did for my coop window, u-shaped frame on the coop that the window slides in and out of, plus a piece glued to the window as a handle. Since taking this photo, I've painted a white line connecting the right top and bottom of the frame so that from a distance it looks like a window frame instead of a white letter "C".

[​IMG]

9. cass1776

Aug 28, 2010
    Mass
    All great ideas just what I was looking for thanks everyone:p

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm planning on stapling bubble wrap over my windows this winter. I'll let you know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by