Plexiglass for winter covering

Stephen1152

Chirping
May 17, 2017
Long Island, New York
My chicken coup is designed where the run area consists of 6 screen squares. It gets cold in my area of the northeast during the winter. I was thinking of using plexiglass to cover the screen area. I would leave 2 inches for ventilation along the top. I was also contemplating leaving one square off in the back corner where very little wind or show would be able to get in. Is this a good idea over covering the entire coop with plastic? Plastic flaps in the wind and it could even tare.

Very interested in this concept, for my duck run. I have been thinking the same thing due to Michigan winters being cold. I'm thinking that the trap idea will be noisy due to flapping in the wind and i have tossed around the idea of plexiglass, A) less noise B) less ware and tare C) it would allow light in during the daytime while helping to block the wind. Hope some more people with experience with both ducks /chickens chin in

I would not use plexiglass. It often cracks if you drill holes in it to install it. It also breaks on impact. I have had hawks break in through plexi as well as glass. Though if you have wire underneath, your birds are safe at least. I have used plastic feed bags that i stapled over the hardware cloth. They lasted the winter for me , and cost is low. If you want transparency, there are clear tarps but they are pricey. You could try those plastic runners that are clear that they use for hallways but unsure of cost or durability for them. You could also use those clear wavy roof panels. I have not tried those. Let us know how it works out for you.

IMG_0620 (1).JPG IMG_0622 (1).JPG IMG_0623.JPG I use the nearly clear plastic that comes in rolls, doubled over, on the lower part of my run. I leave the upper foot or more open for ventilation, Staples, and then screws into 1"x4" boards over the plastic into the run framing. It works great, and the plastic can be reused at least once. It also will roll up in spring, so easier to store than plexiglass panels. Mary

I just put a few plexiglass panels up on my pen and will add more as it gets colder. This will be my first winter with chickens so I dont know how it will hold up yet
20170918_190147.jpg

How much bigger of a staple? We used a staple gun..i haven't finished with the trim, planned on screwing wood trim pieces down the center of each 4x4 to cover ends of hardware cloth and across bottom.

Back
Top Bottom