Plexiglass or solid T1-11

Ok im in the middle of building my coop and can't decide what I want to do with the 2 side windows on the hen house. It is a 6'x4' and the two long sides one facing the run the other facing away from the run will have a(about) 4 foot x15 inch window in them.

The windows will open and be proped open by chain and/or wooden dowles or I may even do removable windows on hinges that slide off. I will have 1/2" hardware cloth attached to the inside of the coop so no mater what the girls will be safe.

My question is should I do solid wood panels or plexy glass, or one of each?

Included in the pictures is the first window cut out and how big it will be and how it looks.

Second pick is the cut out peice just sitting on the frame of the window if I go the route of a solid piece.

Last pic is how the windows will open and how they will look.

Added info that may be useful the sun rises on the side away from the small coop door and will be the same when I move to my other house in a few years. I have heard chickens like a darker nesting area should I do more solid as this will cast light right in to the boxes in the morning.
The roosting bars will be about 3 inches lower than the windows, I may also put a bar up in the area of the monitor roof but was also going to ask about that also lol.

Attachments

• 20220410_105913.jpg
    20220410_105913.jpg
    751.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220410_110322.jpg
    20220410_110322.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220410-201526_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-201526_Chrome.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 15
Definitely go with the Plexiglas. Natural light is very much needed/desired inside a coop.
I have heard chickens like a darker nesting area .. Did your chickens tell you this,, :old :gig.. Make your nesting box ,,, preferably a communal one that is oversize,,,(can handle 2 to 3 at same time) instead of individual ones. Chickens will still have the comfort of privacy from the general flock. The additional hens that arrive to lay,, are not a bother.
Very nice coop BTW :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general are you? Climate matters.

In my climate -- the Steamy Southeast of the USA -- I'd never put plexiglass in for fear of turning my coop into a rotisserie oven when the temperatures climb high into the 90's. But in a cool climate it could be valuable.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general are you? Climate matters.

In my climate -- the Steamy Southeast of the USA -- I'd never put plexiglass in for fear of turning my coop into a rotisserie oven when the temperatures climb high into the 90's. But in a cool climate it could be valuable.
I live in northern California so it gets very hot, but I have a lot of ventilation in this coop...or at least will when im done.
The only time the windows will even be closed will be when it rains or are cooler months Dec-Smarch.

My thought is the plexiglass will come in to play the most in the cooler months when there is less sun (shorter days) any way.

I live in northern California so it gets very hot, but I have a lot of ventilation in this coop...or at least will when im done.
The only time the windows will even be closed will be when it rains or are cooler months Dec-Smarch.

My thought is the plexiglass will come in to play the most in the cooler months when there is less sun (shorter days) any way.

Keep in mind that chickens need draft free roosts - I think you mentioned placing the roosting bars just 3" below the windows? and that the windows would be open most of the year? Not a good plan.

Building a monitor roof for airflow is a great plan. Its a very attractive coop you are making - but I caution against making it less functional in order to satisfy your sense of aesthetics.

Reccomend Bimini Hinges or similar, so you can leave the windows in a cracked open, rather than mostly open, condition to address concerns with drafts, except on the days over 80F. It will be rare that you have temps cool enough to be a concern, except in combination with wet and wind on the roosts....

You certainly built a fancy coop. If your adding a window at that level it should probably stay closed cause it's too close to the height of the roost. Your cross ventilation will come from the chicken doorway up to the roof ventilation.

If you definitely want an open window, the roost should be at least 4 feet away from that window.

Is a cross wind when it's 70 out side a bad thing? (Not trying to ask as a smart @SS lol) I live in nor cal and the summer temps are often high 90's-110 with lows lucky if they drop back in to the high 70's low 80's at night. Mostly dryer warmer north winds here. We really only have 2 seasons and summer is 8 or 9 months log most years. It was 95 here last week lol.

I will close the windows when it's cold, super windy or un favorable conditions. But heat is by far more of a concern then cold.

At what temperature dose the wind(10 mph about our avrage) start to affect the birds.

Since your in a warmer area make sure it's well ventilated. Chickens don't mind breezes when it's hot but they need to stay in shade if possible. They can over heat easily. Plus they do prefer cold Temps vs hot. There body Temps run about 104F so keep that in mind.

Since your in a warmer area make sure it's well ventilated. Chickens don't mind breezes when it's hot but they need to stay in shade if possible. They can over heat easily. Plus they do prefer cold Temps vs hot. There body Temps run about 104F so keep that in mind.
That's 100% my mind set they will also have a full covered run. As well as full shade in the latter hotter part of the day. I was also thinking of putting up a 60% or higher shade cloth over the whole coop suspended by some 4x4's in the ground if needed.

It will have windows on all 4 sides and the monitor roof all of which can be closed or opened depending on the weather I wanted a very modular system where I can open just one window or all and any where in between.

The only time the windows will even be closed will be when it rains

Best to make the windows in such a way that rain can't get in -- either through the use of large roof overhangs, awnings, or top-hinged windows that act as their own awnings.

Essentially, any window that is ever closed doesn't count for the 1 square foot per hen minimum of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

A breeze on the perch in hot weather can be a good thing in season. Or a bad thing in that season.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

Back
Top Bottom