Plexiglass windows for winter coop

Janeofalltrades

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2022
Mammoth lakes, ca
Hi all, im in the process of an 8 x 4 coop build and am having a ton of trouble finding windows.
Anyone use plexiglass for coops that have to endure cold winter temps/heavy winds/snow?
My concern is if they would be strong/ warm enough. Was thinking about double pane plexiglass.
Thanks in advance!

Hi all, im in the process of an 8 x 4 coop build and am having a ton of trouble finding windows.
Anyone use plexiglass for coops that have to endure cold winter temps/heavy winds/snow?
My concern is if they would be strong/ warm enough. Was thinking about double pane plexiglass.
Thanks in advance!
Have you tried looking at shed windows? I noticed that the price has gone up since last year.😔

Thanks in advance!
Warmth is irrelevant.(just like insulation is moot with adequate ventilation-unless you're in northern canada)
I used plexi to replace a broken double pane a couple years ago, has held up fine.
Much more important is building/installing widows taht will effectively shed water to protect inside of coop as well as the structure itself.

Have you considered "barn windows"? They may be easier to find affordably than other types of windows. Several big box building supply stores carry them, so even if your local store doesn't they may be able to order them. They are single pane, fixed pane glass windows. They do not open for warm weather but are easier than most types of windows to take in and out. I like them because they are less expensive than plexiglass and because I read on this forum of other people liking glass better because chicken coops are so dusty; it is easier to clean glass without scratching.

The largest window in my coop only has hardware cloth covering it ~9 months/year This helps ventilation, particularly in the summer. In the winter only, I put a plexiglass pane over the window and use basic screws to hold it in place. The pane leaves the top 10-15% open to allow ventilation, but it still does a good job maximizing light into the coop during the shorter days and cutting out winter winds.

Warmth is irrelevant.(just like insulation is moot with adequate ventilation-unless you're in northern canada)
I used plexi to replace a broken double pane a couple years ago, has held up fine.
Much more important is building/installing widows taht will effectively shed water to protect inside of coop as well as the structure itself.
Good to know, thanks for the advise!

Whatever you use for a window, consider installing it as a top-hinged window so that it forms it's own awning to keep the weather out and can easily be adjusted to fine-tune the airflow.

This article is about the prop for it, but includes good photos of how they work: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/window-support-for-top-hinged-windows.74810/

The largest window in my coop only has hardware cloth covering it ~9 months/year This helps ventilation, particularly in the summer. In the winter only, I put a plexiglass pane over the window and use basic screws to hold it in place. The pane leaves the top 10-15% open to allow ventilation, but it still does a good job maximizing light into the coop during the shorter days and cutting out winter winds.

Could you post a photo of that panel in place? It sounds like a nice installation.

Back
Top Bottom