Plezz Help (Tips and Tricks)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by natedog44, Feb 3, 2013.

1. natedog44

natedog44 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi.. Last year I got 5 pilgram geese (2 male, 3 female) I don't no if they r related and if it will effect the breeding. I don't no if they will start to lay in the spring either. I want them to nest and hatch their own but I NEVER see them breed. I give them a pool of water but idk if thats enough. But plez if anyone can answer my questions or give any other suggestions I would really appreciate it!! Thank-You

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I will not go into the gene pool questions. They need water and ample supplies of clean water and they also need feed with protein in it to lay as well. So please do look at your feeding of them.. It depends on their age, in the spring as to laying times. Prior to egg laying they will begin mating activity. Good luck and have a blessed day!

3. natedog44

Feb 3, 2013
    Thanks I also have a trip of buffs that I had for about three years... And one female has laid but none of the eggs were fertile... Any suggestions??

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have heard that sometimes the gander will only mate with one of the girls which is why you may not being seeing fertile eggs in your one goose. [they will have a favorite] don't know how true that is.

5. natedog44

Feb 3, 2013
    Ok thanks... I think they also may just be too old... But I've been hopeing to sell them and get a pair of Africans... Any advice on them??

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My Africans were loud and aggressive.

7. natedog44

Feb 3, 2013
    Ok we'll they look really cool!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by