Plezz Help (Tips and Tricks)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by natedog44, Feb 3, 2013.

1. natedog44

natedog44 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi.. Last year I got 5 pilgram geese (2 male, 3 female) I don't no if they r related and if it will effect the breeding. I don't no if they will start to lay in the spring either. I want them to nest and hatch their own but I NEVER see them breed. I give them a pool of water but idk if thats enough. But plez if anyone can answer my questions or give any other suggestions I would really appreciate it!! Thank-You

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are they free ranging over acreage if so they could be mating and you just haven't seen them, plus they could also be laying eggs which would probably be hard to find. They don't necessarily need a pool for breeding but it would help. Most of us are seeing mating season starting and egg laying so it may depend on where you are in the country or the world to when you may see mating and eggs.
    [​IMG] Might want to build a pen for them so you can watch whats going on unless they are already penned up. they should be pairing up about now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. natedog44

Feb 3, 2013
    I have them in a pen for the winter and I'll put the pool back in once it warms up.... But should they still breed even if they may have been related??

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Let me find someone who can answer that for you.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I only see my geese breed occasionally and most of their eggs have always been fertile. As for breeding related birds you probably won't have any issues. Many people have bred mother to son and father to daughter. Later down the road you might want to add in some new blood just so you don't start running into genetic problems in the offspring.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks K. [​IMG]

7. natedog44

Feb 3, 2013
    Ok thanks.... This is my first year with pilgrims. I originally had buffs and still do, but I think the may have just been to old cuz I never new there age. I like the pilgrams tho and hope to have better luck with them..... I won't to save up for a pair of Africans tho.. Any advise on them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by