Plotting the Park Goose "Rescue"... *UPDATE - Pg5 - w/pics*

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Bleenie, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Would it be wrong to bring it home if something happened to it's mate?

I didn't see it's Embden buddy last time i was there so she/he would now be the only goose there. they were dumped sometime this last year and they were/are both super friendly. I thoguht the White Chinese was a girl(because of the size) but i am not sure and i was too busy with the crippled duck to pay attention to her...plus she was in love with the little girl that fed her hot dog buns and follwed her back across the park, lol.

anywho...the "missing" Embden looked like a male but also looked very very old, I was worried it may have been "lost" during the cold, frosty time we had a while back and then when we just stopped by it was not there. It's possible its a hen and settign on eggs but if it is missing would it really be that mean of me to bring the lone goosey home?

They certainly dont need any goslings there if the other is setting, but i hope that's why it was not there and it's not passed away, or worse.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    It's illegal to dump domestic geese in a park. They cannot fly and cannot survive, and are too friendly and docile so can be injured really easily, by people, vehicles, or other animals. I'd say, as long as the goose was indeed dumped, it would not be bad to take her, but that is just me. I think you could be saving her life.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If it is a dumped domestic, you would be doing it a favor by adopting it. It would also help the native wild animal population not to have to compete with something that doesn't belong in the environment in the first place.

4. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Also, try to relocate the missing embden first. If you find him, adopt them both. If it's a female sitting on eggs and they are a pair, then she shouldn't be too far away. Either way, if they are dumped domestics... You could save their lives by bringing them in, and they'd be much happier and safer with you.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

If the Embden is a female and is brooding, do you think it would be too(dangerously) stressful to take both geese & her eggs all at once? I would of course put her eggs in the incubator and give them back after they hatched. Geese are excellent mothers so i am sure she would take them if this was the case.

I just wouldn't wanna wreck her world. Animals can stress easily and i know sometimes some are more sensitive than others and it can have severe consequences.

6. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I think it would be best if you did that. It would be harder to round up a bunch of goslings, and DEFINITELY more stressful if you waited for them to hatch, for both mother and the babies. So if the embden is a female on eggs, I'd take her and the eggs and do as you said, she'd probably adopt the babies once they hatched as they are such excellent parents.

7. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    By all means I vote for immediate adoption. Take the one - take them both if you find the other. If there are eggs - transport them too.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I tried to call the animal control for that city & the police department but wasn't able to get through...not exactly sure what to leave as a message either...

"your goose bit a little girl yesterday so can i take them off your hands before you get sued?"

LOL. I will try back tomorrow afternoon, it is after 5 here so they're probably just not answering phones anymore today. Thanks for the help guys. I will let you knwo what they say and what happens if they let me take them. I am sure i can just scoop up the White China but the Embden was a little more shy when i saw them before. if she is somewhere on a nest i am sure i will get a little chewed up but still get her and the eggs safely.

So just in case...what's the incubation stats for Goose eggs?

9. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    The animal control center might want to take them themselves but in my experience they only do harm. I would not call any authorities. These geese probably do not belong to anyone and were simply dropped. Last time I got authorities involved, a lot of birds were euthanized, and I was turned down for help with others.

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have considered just going and taking them but am a little worried that one of the park goers would call the authorities or something. I guess i could just tell them we're removing them because they've become agressive during breeding season [​IMG]

Some people are stupid and just don't understand...they're those "fantasy..duck dumping people"... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by