Pls help! First time incubating eggs in hova bator!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Orly29, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Orly29

Orly29 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    As the subject line states, this is my first time incubating eggs and I am stressing out as I don't think my temp is correct for the bantam araucana eggs I have started to incubate. Humidity is currently at 55% which seems to be good according to everything I have read, but my temp has fluctuated somewhat and I placed the eggs in the bator on 03/30/2009. The temp as fluctuated from 94-99 degrees on diff days w the increasing change staying constant ea day that passes. Temp currently reading 99.1 degrees and holding. Do I still have a chance I hatching my eggs out or did the fluctuation in temp totally put a damper on my incubation project? I would definitely appreciate any and all feedback/help!

Thanks everyone!

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    94 degrees is pretty low, it just might slow the hatch by a day or so. I keep my humidity 35-40% and up to 55 to 60% for the last three days.

Good luck:fl

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    As long as the temps stay up now you should be good. The eggs will just hatch a little later on. Do you have forced or still air? With forced air the temps need to be 100 degrees and still air they should be 102 degrees. Do drop your humitity though.

4. Orly29

Orly29 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    I know this sounds dumb, but I'm not sure if it's still air or forced...doesn't have a fan in it if that helps at all.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Without a fan would make it a "still air". If you can find a small computer fan and wire it in the incubator to "stir" the air up it would help things, but there has been probably millions of chicks hatched without a fan.

Did you run the incubator for a day or so before setting the eggs in it? It sounds like your incubator is stabilizing.

Definitely try to lower your humidity...you might try laying a piece of bubble-packing, styrofoam, or something similar that will float, on top of the water reservoir to decrease the total water surface. Try to get the humidity down to about what 1mommahen mentioned.

Rather than covering the water you might try opening up another vent to allow some moisture to escape. If you do this be sure to monitor your temperature to be sure your thermostat adjusts to also losing a bit of heat. The extra oxygen coming in should help, too.

Or...you might try both approaches. [​IMG]

Best wishes,
    Ed

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    How is it going Orly29? Did you get the humidity down? Candle any eggs?

Ed

7. janieschicks

janieschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    Hello,
    This is my first hatch also in a hovabator. Im on day 3 but im going to order a
    Digital Hygrometer and Thermometer today because I do not know what my humidity level is. Good luck! Keep us informed!

8. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    Orly29,

I had the same thing happen to me...mine just started to hatch on day 22 and are still hatching now on day 23.

Hang in there! [​IMG]

9. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Don't forget to check the accuracy of your hydrometer...

Put 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 water in a coffee cup. Set inside a plastic bag (large zip lock should work well) along with your temp/hydro unit. Don't let the temp/hydro unit get wet with the salt solution. Close the bag up and let it sit for a half a day or so. Then check the humidity reading.....it should be reading 75%. If it reads 69% then you need to remember to add 6% to the reading get the correct value....add 2% if it shows 73%...etc, etc.,. If it reads high, like 79%, then you would need to subtract 4%, etc., etc.,.

Here is a link to a webpage showing how to do it: Hydrometer Accuracy Check

Also check the thermometer...

Best wishes!!!!
    Ed

10. janieschicks

janieschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    Thank you all so very much! What an amazing group of people! I cant believe that I have had my chicks almost a year and just found this site! Im going to head to our local hardware store and see if they have a Digital Hygrometer and Thermometer.......................Be back asap! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by