Pls tell me I have girls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheSpiceGirls, Nov 17, 2010.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Curious what the experts have to say as to whether these are hens or roos?
    I bought hens but I know that there is still chance of getting a roo.

The blondie is a Buff Orpington and is 3 weeks old. Her buddy is a black one is a Jersey Giant and is also 3 weeks old.
    The brown multi colored is an Ameraucana.
    The black and white speckled is a Cuckoo Maran and is 4 weeks old.

I know that the Cuckoo Maran has a rather pronounced comb but this breed seems to at this age so I'm still hopful that my hens are indeed all hens.

Amy

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    girl, girl, girl, guy.

3. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    #4 def a roo, others look like pullets

4. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I agree with the last 2 posts. #4 could turn out to be a pullet... but he really looks rooish to me [​IMG]

5. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks All. I've had my suspecions about #4 being a roo.
    But when I do a search on Cuckoo Maran chicks, they all seem to have a raised comb and look like roos. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Praying for a girl. - Amy

6. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    I was rather ambivalent about the first three and then saw number 4 and thought ROO! But then I read that it's a Marans and that does leave some wiggle room. I had my first batch of BC Marans this year and WOW, some of those girls were dead ringers for roos for the longest time. Even the olive eggers that I hatched out of the BCM boys have tricked me in some cases because the girls from those guys pop out of those eggs so thick and some of their single combs were pretty meaty. So.... I have no idea what to tell you about that little chick other than, SO CUTE!

7. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks All. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best. They are all best buds right now and get all upset if I pull one out of the brooder to cuddle or move outside.
    Although, we are rapidly moving into the teenage phase. They have figured out that their wings are pretty cool. and fly up to perch on top of the feeder or waterer. This morning the feeder was turned over and they were having a bonaza scratching in the feed and eating it. Naughty chickens.

[​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I say all pullets.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I also so roo on number 4 because of the amount of white is consistent with typical barred roosters, hens are usually darker.

And just FYI because surprisingly none of the Ameraucana police on here have gotten to you yet, the middle chick is a hatchery Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana.

10. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    How do you tell an Ameraucana from an Easter Egger?

The shop where I purchased her said she was an Ameraucana. But then they also said the Cuckoo Maran was a girl too. [​IMG]
    Just curious how you tell the difference. I love her either way. She's so pretty with all her colors and the more feathers that come in, the prettier she gets. But she is my problem teenager. She's the one who knocked over the feeder last night. She has no fear of anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by