1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

plucked hen, what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowerchicks, Sep 18, 2011.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I have a hen that is missing half her feathers on her tail, back, back of head and wings. The damage started from my rooster(s) over a year ago, but I haven't had any roosters for over a month and she looks worse than ever. Somebody has to be plucking her feathers. I haven't noticed any of the other hens bothering her, so it must be happening while they roost, unless she is plucking her own feathers. I apply Wound Kote over and over but it isn't working. Before I got rid of the roosters, she wore an apron all the time which kept her back from losing more feathers, but even with the apron, the missing ones never grew back. I have checked her for mites and though I didn't see any evidence, I still dusted her, but nothing got better. She had little black nubs where the feathers were growing in, but those are all gone now, and the feathers next to where I applied the blue coat are now missing... freshly plucked pale pink (not inflamed) skin. She is the only hen with this problem, and hasn't really been laying much lately. I have no way of separating her from the other hens.

Oh, one more thing, I doubt it's connected, but since I got rid of my roosters, I have seen this hen mount 2 of my other hens [​IMG] One of them had never been mounted by the roosters (she was the only hen that had PERFECT feathers), but now is missing some feathers right above her tail, as is the other hen. I am at a loss as what to do with this hen, she is my only BCM. Should I just keep applying the Wound Kote and wait for her feathers to grow in?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    your chicken need vitamins are proteins ,

3. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I will supplement with vitamins, but if she is deficient, why is she the only one of my 9 hens that has this problem?

4. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    the deficit of Zinc made the problem,

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    put a hen apron on it they really sell those online

6. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Quote:she wore an apron for almost a year, the feathers never grew back because as they started to, they were plucked (the apron doesn't always lay flat). You can see in the pictures that her the tips of her feathers are missing on her upper back. I don't know if she is doing that or if one of the other hens is doing it. I put rooster booster on her yesterday and wound kote over that. She is definitely moulting right now. I am hoping that once her moult is over and her feathers start coming in (hopefully all at once), it will happen quickly enough that they don't all get plucked.

Still not sure why she would be deficient in zinc, or anything else, and the other hens aren't. I will add a diluted vitamin to their water, they don't like it when it has vitamins in it and drink out of the dog pool instead of their waterer.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If a feather has been plucked over and over, the follicle that produces the feather will become so damaged that a normal feather will never grow there again. We have a rescue African Grey who came to us nearly naked. 10 years later all feathers have grown back except on his chest. Our avian vet said those follicles were too damaged to produce feathers again.

8. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    [​IMG] well, if that is the case, she will remain the ugliest hen, who thinks she is a rooster and kind of looks like one, in town. Only the feathers on her back have been missing for a long time, the rest are recent. I guess I will just wait. thanks

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I haven't read all the replies and so don't know if this was mentioned but a good protein intake is essential when trying to make new feathers. You might stop giving scratch for awhile, for example, or switch to a higher protein feed for awhile. Just a thought.

10. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I just wanted to let anybody who might be searching this topic know, I bought some Rooster Booster and applied it to all the bare areas on this hen last weekend. She is now covered with 1/4 - 1/2 inch feather quills [​IMG] The Wound Kote I had been using did nothing but turn her a pretty purple! I guess this tar-like substance is pretty nasty to the other hens. I put it on my other hen who has(had) a bare bum from all the plucking, she too, is growing feathers back.. I wish I knew about this stuff last year! I will say, though, it smells awful! Apply in a well ventilated area [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by