Plucked out eye still attached

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Seekinghelp, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Seekinghelp

Seekinghelp New Egg

Feb 15, 2017
    I have been reading on this forum the best thing to do is keep it clean and leave the skin alone and treat for infection. Any more ideas?

My Quail lost eye and after four days the dead eye is still attached to the side of his head. He lost it to another bird's violent peck. It was a horrific scene.

The injured Quail is back eating, preening and cuddling his mate. I have them in a separate environment and his female cuddle buddy looks like she is taking care of him. He does not appear to be in distress. I clean his injury four times a day and I have an eye antibiotic cream from the vet. I just want that dead eye off his face. It appears to be still attached but the eye is a hard circle and dead.

His mate and him look so loving together and she has been helping him preen around his eye. If he was miserable I would of course consider euthanasia but he is eating, drinking, cuddling and preening with his partner at his side. He lets me treat his injuries. If that dead crusty eye would just fall off it would be great. I don't want to make a mistake and hurt him or make him bleed. Any suggestions please?

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Well.. By how much is it attached? Is it a thread of a millimeter or more or less than that? Does the attachment appear dry or does it seem like there is still fluid within? If it's dry and not too wide, I'd probably just cut it off. If it's not dry and/or it's more than 1-2 millimeters wide, I'd be a lot more careful. It's probably still best to get rid of it, but doing it at home could be risky. Perhaps you could tie it off with a piece of string to cut off the fluid. Hopefully that would make it dry out and possibly even fall off on its own.

3. Seekinghelp

Seekinghelp New Egg

Feb 15, 2017
    Thank you for your reply. I don't have a vet I can get to where I am. But I have vet Rx antibiotic cream and am trying my best for this little guy. His mate is so dedicated in looking after him and he is eating and preening and cuddling. I keep the injured bird and his mate on my chest under my chin when I am home from work and they seem to really enjoy this time. I have a heat blanket for them and they are preening me as well. I feel sick this Happened. I hope he is going to be okay. Thank you again for your reply.

4. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    A piece of cotton would work to tie it off then it will either dry out then drop off or can cut off once it dries out as suggested already

5. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

Ohhh it sounds like they're very happy with you, even without an eye xD These are button quail? I only have experience with coturnix but I hear buttons are extremely difficult to tame like you have done :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by