"Plucked" Pheasant, try it, you'll like it

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Rod W, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Rod W

Rod W Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Phelps, Wisconsin
    We just had plucked pheasant last nite for maybe the second time. There is so much difference in taste compared to skinned birds that if you have never tried this, you really owe it to yourself!! Sooo much more moisture retained and lots of people throw the best parts away ( I just love the thighs and legs) OOOhh, and the skin, adds sooooo much more FLAVOR, but I guess everyone on these forums know this!!! -- Thank You, ROD --- Anyone care to share recipes? We just cut up some onion, placed salt and onion inside the bird, poultry seasoning spread on top, 1 can chicken broth poured over the bird, basted periodically with the juice,cooked on low in the slow cooker until meat falls off!! Easy as PIE

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. chickincoop

chickincoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Love pheasant! Haven't had it in years, but lots of it growing up as my dad was a hunter. Also, love your quote! [​IMG]

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Pheasant and quail are our favorite birds. On whole birds we do either a seafood/mushroom type stuffing - (Chopped clams, crabmeat, and shrooms mixed with the stuffing) or stuff them with 1/2 cooked wild rice and shrooms again. Some people put bacon over the top of the birds but to me the bacon overpowers the meat. We have about 40 pheasants that we are growing out now for the freezer. Now that they are getting bigger every day when I feed them I think I drool just a little. [​IMG]

Steve

4. Rod W

Rod W Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Phelps, Wisconsin
    Yes indeed, I to think the little quail are the best of the BEST, do you scald, then pluck your pheasants and quail? I have plucked the smaller wild pigeons after scalding, and they turned out very good, about 30 seconds scald time. 150 degree water. What do you do for the various birds? Thank You, ROD

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The quail we just dry pluck as soon as we remove the head and the body is still warm. When we do whole quail it's just for special meals since they are so small and pain to do that way plus you end up doing quite a few if you have 4 or 5 people at the table. Most times we just skin them and use the breast and leg 1/4's. Every pheasant is special so we do scald and pluck them. dry plucking tears the skin unless you are real careful.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by