1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

plucked tail feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I know this has been talked about, but I really can't find a post that 'explains' what to do.

So, one of our pullets (or at least we think she is a she) has NO tail feathers but 1. I don't know who the culprit was, but she has been like this for about 2 months. It happen when we had a big white leg horn rooster. "She" is suppose to be an EE pullet, but again 'her' feathers coming down her neck look more rooish. None of the other pullets have had any feathers plucked and she is NOT even at the bottom of the pecking order.

1. Will they grow back and WHEN?

2. Is she a Roo or a Pullett

3. Why are all the others still with feathers??

Oh and the white roo that we had seem to NOT favor this pullet as in a male/female way, he actually kinda just ignored her for the most part. I never ONCE seen him mount her like all the other pullets. The roo we still have has NEVER mounted any of the girls, I am not sure he knows yet what he is suppose to do, he is just a big bully.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, feather do grow back. Takes about 6 weeks. And this is of course if no one is plucking them out. You will have to post a pic so we can get a look at him/her to identify them. And this tailess bird may have been the only one being picked on. She may even be pulling them out herself.

If there is in fact a bird that is out of control plucking feathers out of the butts of the others, you can always go the "Pinless Peepers" route. I swear by these things and have saved my flock from the extreme feather pulling and aggression. (Everybody gets to keep their combs, wattles and tail feathers!) Good luck!

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    What about the tail feathers for a 24 week rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by