plucker question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bj taylor, Mar 24, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    if you have a small flock (12 birds or less), is it worth while to invest in a plucker when you will only be killing one or two birds at a time?

2. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Not in my mind. Easier to skin them, since most of my DP birds are over a year old before I process them and they will be soup, anyway, so I don't care about the skin.

However, I have ramped up production and will be selling Frankenbirds at the farmers market. So, since I will be selling them, and doing 40 or 50 birds at a time, it is important that they be well plucked with skin on. So, investing in a quality plucker makes sense now.

3. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I'd recommend a drill plucker. Easy, cheap, and effective.

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    You can easily make a drill plucker for less than 5 bucks. Honestly though, if you are only doing a couple at a time, just make sure you get a good scald and hand picking would be fine.

By good scald, I mean water temp of ~145 degrees and agitate the carcass under the water until the wing feathers pull loose easily.

I have even dry-picked when I only had a couple to do though, so really you should be fine no matter what.

5. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I have a table plucker and it still doesn't make sense for just a couple of birds. By the time the scalder is set up and warmed, and the plucker in place, I could have had them skinned, eviscerated, and in the chill tank.

6. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:
    Do you have pictures of how you skin them? I would like to learn more about how to do this. I did try to skin one of my roos but it became pretty messy and I cut myself trying to cut the skin from around the legs.

7. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Cut their feet off first. Makes it much easier. I don't like chicken without skin personally, but if you do, go for it. It is a lot faster.[​IMG]

8. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    For doing just 1 or 2 birds at a time, I'd just pluck them by hand. Chickens pluck pretty easily. I would never skin a chicken since roasted chicken skin is my favorite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by