Plucking Aylesbury Ducks !!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rod W, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Rod W

Rod W Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Phelps, Wisconsin
    HELP, HELP, HELP, Does anyone on here have ANY experiences Plucking Aylesbury ducks? The skin seems to tear no matter what is done! Thank You, ROD

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    hummmmm

I haven't butchered any of my ducks yet, but you are supposed to plunge them in hot water with a little soap and then cold water to rinse...right?

What specifically have you tried?

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Dip them in hot water first to loosen the feathers. After that grab fewer feathers when you are plucking them out. You're not looking to do a spectactular job - just get the most feathers you can out.

After that dip them a few times in wax as if you're making a duck candle. Let that harden and peel off the rest of the feathers.

Also, understand that ducks really need to be plucked between the ages of 8-10 weeks or when they are going through a molt, otherwise you are dealing with too much baby fuzz, or too many stubborn feathers.

4. Rod W

Rod W Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Phelps, Wisconsin
    This information is more for some folks in Brisbane, Australia where I recently sent a plucker. They haven't had any luck whatsoever, and I thought someone on these forums should no something about these ducks. I do no that on wild ducks that have a lot of fat, the skin does tear very easily. I will steer these folks to this very informative site!! Thank You, ROD

5. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:I have 2 week old pekin ducklins. So I need to pluck them at 8-10 weeks? I haven't heard that.

6. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    If you plan on eating them then that's the best time to pluck. If not, then your babies may enjoy keeping their feathers and down this winter [​IMG]

7. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:LOL gotcha, They are pets, so I think they will be warmer if I don't pluck them. Thanks for clarifying. I am new so I was confused. [​IMG]

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have 2 week old pekin ducklins. So I need to pluck them at 8-10 weeks? I haven't heard that.

OMG...the visions I had when I read this [​IMG] Enjoy your ducks running round your yard and dont pluck!!

9. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Quote:LOL gotcha, They are pets, so I think they will be warmer if I don't pluck them. Thanks for clarifying. I am new so I was confused. [​IMG]

Omg![​IMG] Oh I'm sorry daverista!! But that was so cute and funny. I'm so glad you asked though, can you imagine if you'd tried to pluck your poor pets?[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    It's a good excuse to bring them in over the winter and have them as house pets. What duck wouldn't want to be snug by the fire in a scarf or blanket?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by