plucking duck feathers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, Nov 11, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I was searching this site to find out when feathers start to come in because it looks like my 2 week old ducklings are starting to get the beginnings of feathers on their tails. While searching I came across a post about duck feathers and making pillows and comforters. Do you pluck the birds after they are culled or can you pluck the feathers while they are alive? I am not planning on doing this, but may consider in the future. I don't eat my pets though so I need to do so much research before I would consider it. Just more curious at this point.

2. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I imagine it would be quite painful getting plucked alive, prob like having fingernails pulled out. I dont know about ducks but ive heard that when possums are culled you pluck the fur straight away when body still warm or else its hard to do.(in NZ possum fur is great mixed with wool for knitting;)) might be the same for ducks.

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    LOL... I defy you to get the feathers when they are alive! I would have to guess they are plucked after butchering. But then again you can come collect feathers all around my yard from where the ducks and chicken run the roost....

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    The ducks are dead when plucked and it takes alot of ducks just to make one pillow [​IMG]

5. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:I was thinking it would take a lot of ducks to make just 1 pillow which is why i was so confused on if they were alive or not. I figured if they were alive then they would grow back in. I have my first ducks now and they don't have feathers yet, but I am trying to learn what ever I can. I am/was definately confused.

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Not to far from here they have a duck feather plugging place. http://www.tulegoose.com
    Hunters love that place, because they get the feathers pulled of the duck for free. The place does this in exchange for the feathers. They then wash and dry the feather and make pillows and blankets with feathers. BTW feathers needs to get washed every couple of years and need to be replenished as well. They break down in time, and mites are an issue too. Down feathers also need to be stored correctly when not in use. I Germany many people store them is facilities that are used to store fur coats. They are kept in freezing dry temps to preserve them. This also kills mites etc.
    Mike Row from Dirty Jobs visited that place:
    http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/dirty-jobs-fowl-play.html

7. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    THATS wild [​IMG] I watched it just last week [​IMG]

8. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    OMG - Thanks Katharina, you totally have my mind spinning now. Which definately means way more research for me. We live close by to a hunting club and a lot of land behind our house is owned by that club so lots of hunters in my area. I never got into "farming" before but I don't know of any type of service in this area for that. I am not sure if I have the "stomach" for it but definately worth researching for me.

9. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    There ya go dave. [​IMG] But I watched the whole show and they charge the hunters for cleaning and packing. The feathers are the companies bonus. So if you get into business they pay you for cleaning and then you can sell em some pillows before they leave [​IMG]

10. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Quote:He he he there is no way i would try to get a feather from a live duck(mine would rip my head off!!!!) Good luck with your venture Davekrista:) love to see what you come up with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by