Plucking feathers

Russo's Roost

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Morrisville VT
One of my Plymouth Barred Rock hens, 18 months old and a good layer is starting to pluck her own feathers off her back and side, she has a bald spot about the size of an egg. I am concerne with the cold Vermont winter coming very soon. Does anyone have a reason why she is doing this and what can I do to discourage it.

Could she have mites? I would check her with a flashlight after dark around the feather shafts to see if you see anything moving on her.
If so, dust her(and your other birds) with Sevin dust(keep it away from the faces).
I would also up her protein intake to promote feather growth.

I had something similar happen. I had a buff orpington that I thought was going through molt. Actually all of my older ladies were molting this fall so I didn't think anything of it. Well she never came out of molt. All of her feathers never grew back but she was in good spirits and ate and interacted with the other chickens. About a week ago I noticed that she was being quiet and would keep to herself. Then one day all the roo's, about 3 of them just went at her one morning. Not trying to mate with her but trying to kill her. I ran out and then put her in the shed with lots of hay and food. Heat lamp. But she only made it 2 days and then died. It was very sad. My last BO. Anyone have any idea's what was wrong with her? I didnt see any mites on her but I could have missed them.

Back
Top Bottom