Plucking, round 25..............

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tikkijane, Mar 4, 2012.

1. A few months ago, everyone started a fashion trend with their peepers. Out of the 13, I think we have 3 or 4 that got them off. That's not the problem.

The problem is Daisy. Daisy is one of our BOs, and continues to pluck with them on. At first, she would crane her head and try to go at it on the side. She finally figured out even if she couldn't see, she could still pluck others straight on just by doing it.

I have had her mostly in the house and away from everyone else for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday, I let her back out (I have company) and let her spend the night the with girls. Bright and early this morning, she was back at it.

Is there something else I can do? It's not boredom; it's not space; it's not a lacking diet. This is totally behavioral. She's not plucking herself inside, fwiw. She will go and pluck even when they are loose in the yard, which is the bulk of their day.

Do they make a larger pinless peeper? Is there some other product I can get? I'm getting really tired of this!!

Thanks,
    Tikki

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] to Daisy. Sounds as if she is incorrigible.

3. [​IMG]Hunny's "fix" is the stock pot.....I keep reminding him that we don't eat our friends. And besides, she lays a lovely large egg every single day. I think we need to finish the outdoor penalty box so she can see everyone and be outside yet not be able to get to anyone else during the day. I would let her sleep in the big coop at night so she's warm enough, but I'm really kind of wondering if there is anything else I can do to break her of this habit! *sigh* We do love her, though!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Unfortunately your hunny is probably right. If she already can't see with the peepers she has and is still doing it, I doubt bigger peepers or another product is going to do any different. If you really wanna keep her, separate her or make her a house pet. But I would think that would be a lonely life for a chicken. Best of luck to you and Daisy!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Is she getting enough protein? Feathers have lots of protein in them. Just a thought.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Double post oops

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by