1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plucking the neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hladik, Jan 18, 2016.

1. hladik

hladik New Egg

Dec 23, 2014
    Arlington, Texas
    Any idea why my ladies are all of a sudden picking on her? All have been together since birth (1 year in March) but recently started plucking some neck feathers. No rooster around. All are still laying regularly. Grandma farmer says to slap some grease on the neck to make it stop... any other ideas?

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I don't think anyone is picking on her, it appears to be a neck molt, which they sometimes do, it's not a full body molt, they just molt around the neck area. You are seeing the feathers growing in.

1 person likes this.
  3. MayCasa

MayCasa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    So glad you posted this question. I have three almost year old chickens that look just like this. I was wondering what was going on with them too.

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I'm agreeing with oldhienlikesdogs on this one mine did it too and even with the measly 6 birds I have it looked like a red feathered down pillow exploded even though it was only their neck.

5. hladik

hladik New Egg

Dec 23, 2014
    Arlington, Texas
    That is good to know. I guess I didn't realize they would molt. I hadn't seen feathers around the coop, but I haven't spent a lot of time out there lately since it is dark before I get home.

6. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    sometimes if their feed doesn't contain enough protein they will eat their feathers as they come out my ameraucana ash does it all the time I've been raising it a little bit every time I have to go to the feed store I think she just likes eating feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by