1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

plucking vs. skinning

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by crystal94040, Nov 10, 2007.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    which do you prefer?
    which is easier for a first timer?

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It depends really on what you like to eat. Skinning is suppose to be easier than plucking but my family loves to have the skin on our birds. We us a coleman stove and a big pot for water. Heat water just to scalding temp. Dip bird, covering whole thing about 30 seconds. Test to see if feathers pull off easily. If needed do 10 seconds at a time. You don't want to start cooking the birds. Rubber gloves make the job go a lot faster. If you skin, make sure you have a sharp knife. Good Luck. [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I pluck because we like the skin on when I roast them. You know, that crisp crunchy bite of a golden skin baked with butter and seasoning? LOL

It takes me about 15 min to pluck each bird.

4-HChickenMom is correct about scalding. 30 sec - 1 min at the most or the bird will start to cook.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I like skinning, much much much much easier. Takes me bout 5 minutes to skin a bird, and another 5 to pick out the good organ meat. Toss the rest with skin and tail together into the "death" bucket and off you go with dinner.

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]i like the taste, too, miss prissy. now if only i can get you to fly over here and pluck mine. which airline do you prefer? skinner out of laziness.

6. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    I heard the smell is awful after you dunk them in the water....true? false? I'm pregnant and I gag easily these days :| ....just curious.

7. silkiechicken

Yes, smell of wet feathers is pretty nasty. It's the wet feather and blood smell really.... Don't cut into the intestines and don't forget to withold feed 12 hours!

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I thought the bad smell was when you singed off the little feathers over flame. Haven't done mine but remember that from doing as a kid.

9. silkiechicken

Ah, yeah, that would be pretty bad smelling too! I usually don't have that problem though since I butcher young. Oh, and i only pluck occasionally.

10. sgray136

sgray136 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Huntertown, Indiana
    Does anyone know of a site that has detailed instructions with illistrations on how to butcher turkeys and chickens. This is Tom 2007 and he will be the guest of honor this Christmas.[​IMG]?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by